• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

lure/spinning for salmon

Ricky Pattenden

Hi all, Im taking a trip up to the Tyne next weekend and will be fishing for the salmon during what is the last few days of the season and the run should be pretty good, I have never fished for salmon by spinning or lure fishing, does anyone have any tips and what spinners and lures to use?

any help would be appreciated!

peter thats good help, ive bought plenty of flying c's and meps so well stocked up!
I also have plenty of rapalas just in case!

do you have any tips on using these lures, All the info I can get will help!

Try both upstream and across and down , try and keep the lure as close to the bottom and as slow as possible, (just enough to get the lure working). Cover every inch of likely pools, don,t be in a rush, take your time, braid helps show the sometimes very delicate little bumps and nudges, if in doubt, strike, if you get an enquiry, but no hook up, change to a different size/colour lure, cover the fish again, change the angle/speed, be prepared to lose hair as you pull it out in frustration. Salmon can show an amazzing ability to follow and mouth a lure without you feeling very much at all, if the water is clear, polaroids are essential, watch the lure, if it should just disappear, strike, you never know. Fish will very often just follow but not take, time and time again, just move on and try again later!
good luck and happy hunting,
Peter

Back