• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lure Bass Fishing

Sam Lloyd

Has anyone done much lure fishing for bass? If so does anyone have any advice they can kindly pass on? I've read that low tide is one of the best times to go?
Has anyone fished Portsmouth with any success?

Thanks guys

Hi Sam, for tides, well it all depends on the mark. I've done a fair bit of lure fishing for bass in the north east, and really your best way of finding out which mark produces when is to fish it at various stages of the tide, on both neap and spring tides. Noting down your results will soon help you to build up a picture as to when those bass feed in that locality, which will increase your success in the future.

It took me a year to catch my first lure caught bass, but now i know of a couple of marks where i can nearly guarantee success given the right conditions.

WHat you may find with bass fisherman is that they are unwilling to give out info, so if you do glean some info about your local marks certainly use it to your benefit.

Keep an eye out for diving terns. Sure way to find the sandeel shoalsthey like to hound. Also, have a wander down to chosen spots at extreme low tide to locate any gulleys that may hold food once the tide floods. Areas with a lot of tidal movement tend to produce well

Thanks for your help James :)
It's probably best to avoid walking through Pompey with a spear gun Steveo! Armed response vehicle springs to mind! Lmao

Back