• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Luncheon Meat

I like to flavour my big meat, as it’s something they won’t have seen before:

5A0076ED-B4E8-467E-855F-16C88EC59AAD.jpeg

Re sweet flavours I’ve tried both Nash Squid and Scopex and Tutti Fruiti. The Eels may not like it, but on occasion and after dark, the small fish can still home in on it, reducing it to 40% of its original size, within an hour!

when using meat this big do you have to let the fish take line and "run" with it before striking or do you still get a 3' twitch ?

I like to flavour my big meat, as it’s something they won’t have seen before:

View attachment 12848

Re sweet flavours I’ve tried both Nash Squid and Scopex and Tutti Fruiti. The Eels may not like it, but on occasion and after dark, the small fish can still home in on it, reducing it to 40% of its original size, within an hour!

Which bit is the hookbait, the pink bit or the orange bit???

when using meat this big do you have to let the fish take line and "run" with it before striking or do you still get a 3' twitch ?

Re Lawrence above, you need to read his article:

Most bites I find when using big meat start with the rod tip vibrating. If it’s gently vibrating then I find it’s probably small fish. If it violently vibrates then as soon as the rod tip starts to pull I’ll strike. If the vibrations turn into 6 inch bounces then I’ll strike. If you leave it you’ll end up with no meat left. You do still get slamming takes occasionally and if it’s a barbel not a chub and it hooks itself you better be quick to grab your rod cause it will go flying otherwise

If I get a couple of 'nods' on the tip I dip the rod tip to give it a bit of slack, and feel the line. If this slack is taken up 'jerkily' I'll ignore it, and wait for a slow pull ..then strike into that.

Like Alex I also have been using the screw affairs to effectively hair rig the meat very secure and effective but can snag up really badly in your landing net when land your fish.

Luncheon meat has deffo been my most successful bait this season.

Its a confidence thing, I used to catch on meat and still do when using it on the float but as a static bait I just find pellet out fishes it consistently and for me by a big margin.

View attachment 12827This is how I set up if u can make it out. Don’t really use long hooklinks unless I’m casting up stream. Size 4 hook. Wouldn’t go smaller as you’ll struggle to keep a big bit of meat on
I dispense with the swivel on the lead these days, it surprisingly has no benefit to the rig, in fact compromises it. This is a tip I picked up years ago for such rigs.

I dispense with the swivel on the lead these days, it surprisingly has no benefit to the rig, in fact compromises it. This is a tip I picked up years ago for such rigs.
I've only ever used a swivel when I'm long trotting or trundling. I see them as totally unnecessary.

Back