• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

luncheon meat ...hair rig or not ?

Darren Harrison

whats your preference and why ?

im asking as i snagged a fish yesterday and now im thinking it wouldn't of happened if i wasn't hair rigging my bait.

upset me knowing id injured the barbel :eek: .....and yes i know **** happens so get over it....but still!

cheers
Daz

Last edited:
whats your preference and why ?

im asking as i snagged a fish yesterday and now im thinking it wouldn't of happened if i wasn't hair rigging my bait.

upset me knowing id injured the barbel :eek: .....and yes i know **** happens so get over it....but still!

cheers
Daz

I've foul hooked them on meat on the hook, and prawns on the hook as well.
They get their snouts under the line, or drift under a high angled line, and drop back as they do, lifting the line up as they go, the point of the hook finds them, and bang ! their hooked, obviously there's more chance of it happening with a bare hook.

I always place my hook bait a few feet up stream of my baited spot now, - not to avoid that, but so as to reduce liners which can spook them, but it has had the effect of stopping foul hooking, which hasn't happened since i've been doing this, but sooner or later i reckon it will happen again.

It's one of the hazards of angling, and nothing you do will completly eliminate the risk.

Ian.

No 'but still' about it Darren, as Ian said, foul hooking will happen in barbel fishing...not because of your methods, rather down to their feeding habits.

There is no point at all in beating yourself up over this, or in using less efficient methods in a vain attempt to avoid it happening...it will happen, so just go about your barbel catching the best way you know how...end of :D

Cheers, Dave.

Try covering your hook point with a piece of cork. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

As said above, it can happen with ANY fish, on ANY venue. None of us like it, but its always going to happen.

Last edited:
Im sure a few of us on here have claimed our PB or river record on a foul hooked barbel.

I almost always fish meat with the hook buried.

Steve

I used to as well...but then when I started barbel fishing, it was many years before the hair rig (or boilies) was invented. We did on occasion leave the point sticking out, as in side hooked, if it was real 'under the rod tip' type of stuff, but that was about it.

However, whatever we did, if we had fed enough to get numbers of fish really looking for it, we had the odd foul hooked fish. Live with it.

Cheers, Dave.

Back