• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Luncheon meat and growth hormones

Mike Webb

I just found this link whilst browsing. Was anything ever proved?

I'd never heard of this before. :confused:

regards

Mike

Most meat/fish produced for human consumption will have some sort of growth accelerant, antibiotics etc added to their feed. That old fool in the clip with his smoked salmon sandwiches, calls himself a scientist, he hasn't got a clue. That salmon will be well stuffed with just about every concoction under the Sun. Even it were wild salmon, the smoking process will be loaded with carcinogens. The best bit of scientific analysis shown on that clip was carried out by Ray Walton. Me, well I've eaten loads of lunchy and it hasn't dome me much harm, although I have noticed something growing out of the corner of my mouth. I put it down to an ingrowing whisker but not so sure now. Recently, I've given up contaminated food and now only eat rare breed and exotic meat which I know to be additive free.

Last edited:
Jim Said "well I've eaten loads of lunchy and it hasn't dome me much harm"

Sorry Jim I think it's done you more harm than you think. You can get away with telling these people on the forum what you like because they don't know like I do... A bit like Trigger in Only Fools and Horses. He says he's been eating British beef all his life and that it's done him no harm.

hi lads, eddie farrell new member.
just watch that link mike webb put on about luncheon meat, well interesting theory
well tests will be done for human comsuption with all the additives added to it,
but no scientist would have a detailed study of what it does to the fish pollution, cause it would nt interest them,, and like it was said no evidents to back this up...
i think it could be in the genes of them fish in that strech of river, ???? at that time,

It was and still is a very intersting story of what happened back then. Basically, we were fobbed off by MAFF at the time and told us to look elswhere for answers.
However, they did investigate the luncheon meat and named 3 growth promoters that they searched for that were used at the time. At this time, every tin of luncheon meat was taken off the shelves of supermarkets shops etc in the UK and did not return for a long period of time.
When it did return, the labelling of ingredients had changed from the original.
The removed word from the ingredients was 'Offel'.
Now go back 20 years and think to yourself why that might have happened?
The next bit is very interesting and possibly disturbing.

I had an email recently regarding a link between tinned meats and swine flu....

....soon realised it was only spam though and deleted it

hi lads, eddie farrell new member.
just watch that link mike webb put on about luncheon meat, well interesting theory
well tests will be done for human comsuption with all the additives added to it,
but no scientist would have a detailed study of what it does to the fish pollution, cause it would nt interest them,, and like it was said no evidents to back this up...
i think it could be in the genes of them fish in that strech of river, ???? at that time,

I think that Ray making be barking up the wrong tree. Offal was connected with BSE. The symptoms were staggering. In the case of fish, I cannot recollect any fish swimming around in an erratic manner so the offal theory can be dismissed in its entirety. However, I think that Eddie may have stumbled on the solution. At the time of these mutations, a lot of women were on "the pill". The result was that a great deal of oestrogen found its way into the water courses. Oestrogen can cause a change of sex. Since the large barbel are female, it could result in them growing extra barbules. This theory could have been tested by examining barbel that were caught and establishing whether it were only the females that were growing the extra barbule. To give credance to this idea, over the last few years my wife has grown a substantial beard. If women can grow hair with a hormonal imbalance, then surely the same can happen to a female barbel. To sum up, the barbel had probably been subjected to a high oestrogen concentration in the river and my hirsute wife may have been on the high oestrogen "pill" before she came to Britain. Unfortunately, my wife's grasp of English is poor, so I can't establish this last fact. The alternative is, both had eaten substantial quantities of luncheon meat. Food for thought.

Last edited:
So Jim, it's your wife's fault that barbel were growing extra barbules in the nineteen eighties, but it can't be proved until her english improves?

Are we also faced with the possibility that luncheon meat might be a viable alternative to the pill?

I think that Ray making be barking up the wrong tree. Offal was connected with BSE. The symptoms were staggering. In the case of fish, I cannot recollect any fish swimming around in an erratic manner so the offal theory can be dismissed in its entirety.

Possibly near the mark on the first bit, but not entirely dismissed.
BSE was known to exist for at least 2 years before this but was not exposed to the public. Some of the fish with the extras also had tumours and lesions, which is a side effect of using synthetic hormone growth promoters in pigs. In fact we were told it was normal for the processors to cut out the flesh/stomach tumours before marketing.
BSE (Mad Cow Disease) in cattle was identified to be in the brain/spleen etc and these parts were originally used as 'waste' products - Offal. Most of this stuff was used in meat pies, burgers, sausages, mince etc. Offal was the main ingredient of Luncheon Meat usually labelled 70/80% Offal.
Then we come on to CJD (Human form of BSE) transferred from cattle to man.
There was also the use of 'animal derived' Hormone Growth Promoters being used in Humans with growing problems, grafts, etc.
From here it then becomes even more interesting and worrying.

Last edited:
Ray, i am following your input with great interest mate, we have exchanged some chat about the river Lea and kings weir with the growths ect before,
anything in supermarkets is thoroughly tested for human consumption but!
whats safe for humans aint maybe safe for fish! when the products tested its not tested for the fishes point of health, the financial costs for not making sure could be so horrendous that even a real large processing firm could go under with a stroke of a pen, the big 4 supermarkets can make banks, goverments and councils cower in fear with their financial power, just think
well over a £100 pw is spent by most households in the stores every week
the total is mindbending figures

Hi John...I remember the old discussions well.
I also remember when Anglers Mail contacted the 'Spam' company when luncheon meat/Chopped Ham and pork etc was top of a poll for the most used and top productive baits for barbel. They declined to promote or be associated in the use of Spam in angling.
Although Fred Crouch may have been wrong to blame the extra barbels solely on the Synthetic Hormones/Growth Promoters used in pigs/Luncheon Meat, the front page coverage in the 'Independant' newspaper certainly hit a nerve within MAFF for another reason which came to light later.

I'm not sure that I like some of the slurs aimed at my wife or the mickey taking. I would have hoped that BFW members would have been above that. Just to put the record straight, my wife arrived in the UK without any papers or passport. Admittedly, her method of gaining entry to the UK was not of a conventional manner. She was placed in a residence, quite a nice hotel actually, for refugees claiming political asylum. Owing to another batch of refugees coming through, local people were asked to put up an asylum seeker. I went down to the hotel and selected one of these unfortunate people. Some of the young men seemed boisterous and were smoking and drinking. So I selected a youngish young lady, lovely black hair. I took her to a local restaurant - although she came to this country with nothing but the clothes she stood up in, she insisted, using sign language, that she would pay for the meal. She must have brought a wallet with her as she had credit cards, Tesco loyalty card and quite a lot of money and surprisingly a photo of her wife and kids. Never did work that one out. And I nearly forgot to mention, she had one of those Blackberry devices. Although, her spoken English is poor, she seems to earn quite a lot of money for doing little work. Just shows how industrious these immigrants are. I feel that she has added so much to our culture. So no more nasty comments please, I feel that my locality has been so enriched and we should be embracing and celebrating the arrival of such a wonderful woman. I shall from time to time keep you posted on how our relationship is developing.

Back