• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Low Oil Pellets

Afternoon All,

Given the concerns around high-oil pellets, and that I need to stock up with bait for the new season, I wondered if anyone would be kind enough to recommend any low oil pellets suitable for the barbel?

TIA

Hi Peter.

If you do a google headed... low oil pellets......you will see many companies now offer these.
The mixed flavour sized ones from Moores look interesting.

There are quite a lot of carp and coarse fish specific pellets on the market.

Whats newishi I have noted a number of bait companies are now describing their higher oil products also as "fish friendly! !"

Its interesting also looking at lots of commercial fisheries such as Makins to see their restrictions .

I'll probably be moving to a carp pellet with Glug used on hookbait only.

Graham

Anyone else moving away from the high oil trout/halibut/elips type pellet onto the coarse/carp low oil versions?

The low oil pellets are just as attractive to fish, barbel will move quite a way for them.

One thing to bear in mind about oil is that fish cannot actually detect oil, so it does not form part of the attraction process. Fish may get 'food signals' from the oil when they actually eat it but they will never be able to detect the oil.

Basically by switching over to the low oil pellets you will not be loosing anything in the way of attraction.

Whats the opinion regarding using pellets on rivers that do not see a great deal of pellet baits?
Are they likely to catch fish? of course most rivers will not have had any pellets introduced for some months unless someone has been pre baiting.
I was of the opinion that early season more natural baits might be better but I am sure people will start introducing pellet come the 16th high oil or not .
I have recently bought a modest amount of elips pellets to use on the rivers in the new season but when these run out unless results are spectacular and i doubt they will be I would be looking at changing to low oil variety.
I caught quite a few roach last year on the trent on 6mm high oil pellets so the fish soon get weaned on to them when there are quite a lot being introduced.
I think everyone would benefit if low oil pellets were used but Its not likely to happen as there Is very little control over bait use unlike on the carp waters:(

The low oil pellets are just as attractive to fish, barbel will move quite a way for them.

One thing to bear in mind about oil is that fish cannot actually detect oil, so it does not form part of the attraction process. Fish may get 'food signals' from the oil when they actually eat it but they will never be able to detect the oil.

Basically by switching over to the low oil pellets you will not be loosing anything in the way of attraction.

Interesting post Ash, do you have any links or pointers for or to, further reading on the subject

Thanks
Stephen

They can if there is an emulsifier included Ash :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi All, and thanks for the replies.

Graham, I've been looking around t'internet, and can't seem to find the info I want. For instance I was looking at Dynamite's XL Carp Pellets, which are hard pellets, but from what's written, they soften and breakdown quite quickly (but no indication as to how quickly). So bearing in mind I'm likely to be using them on waters where crayfish are prevalent, they may not be a particularly good choice. It's similar or even less info for everything else I've looked at. Maybe I've missed something.

Ash, interesting comment about oils. Would you say the same for hemp oil, considering how that's pushed as an attractant? Mind you, I've always been a bit puzzled by oils - which have a tendency to float - being an attractant for bottom-feeding fish.

low oil carp pellets

Hi All, and thanks for the replies.

Graham, I've been looking around t'internet, and can't seem to find the info I want. For instance I was looking at Dynamite's XL Carp Pellets, which are hard pellets, but from what's written, they soften and breakdown quite quickly (but no indication as to how quickly). So bearing in mind I'm likely to be using them on waters where crayfish are prevalent, they may not be a particularly good choice. It's similar or even less info for everything else I've looked at. Maybe I've missed something.

Ash, interesting comment about oils. Would you say the same for hemp oil, considering how that's pushed as an attractant? Mind you, I've always been a bit puzzled by oils - which have a tendency to float - being an attractant for bottom-feeding fish.

Some carp pellets break down very quickly indeed its a case of trial and error really but why not feed some carp pellets and use a high oil pellet for hookbait.
Carp pellets will never last as long simply becauce its the oil that slows the breakdown most carp pellets are around 6% oil content unlike halibuts or elips that contain considerably more oil .

CC Moore:

Pete. Might be worth looking at something like those above?

On my discussions with the two major suppliers of pellets in the Uk both promised to educate purchasers that their salmon feed pellets should not be used for coarse fish. Hiwever they say its up to anglers to educate themselves what to use!!!

I'm hoping that the days when vast quantities were put into our rivers are mainly in the past and any pitential oroblems...maybe of the sort we are experiencing on our rivers will be alleviated to a degree.

Changing to low oil or at least mainly low oil feed may help things.

Graham

CC Moore:

On my discussions with the two major suppliers of pellets in the Uk both promised to educate purchasers that their salmon feed pellets should not be used for coarse fish. However they say its up to anglers to educate themselves what to use!!!

I'm hoping that the days when vast quantities were put into our rivers are mainly in the past and any potential problems...maybe of the sort we are experiencing on our rivers will be alleviated to a degree.

Graham

Last edited:
Interesting post Ash, do you have any links or pointers for or to, further reading on the subject

Thanks
Stephen

Its just info i have picked up from reading into carp baits, trying to sift through alot of the BS that is out there. What carp can and cannot detect, i am presuming, is pretty similar to barbel.

Basically, oil is not soluble and cannot therefore be an attractant in water. If you use emulsifiers they alter the size of the oil particles in water, they do not make oil soluble. However, oil is something that fish can convert into energy quite well or use to convert protein, it is slightly above my head that side of it but the science behind why it wouldnt be an attractor made sense to me. :confused::)

Think for the time being I'll go down the route of low oil for feed, and "traditional" pellet for hook bait only. There's little chance of my hook baits doing any harm, as the fish seem to be very good at avoiding them. :eek:

CC Moore:

On my discussions with the two major suppliers of pellets in the Uk both promised to educate purchasers that their salmon feed pellets should not be used for coarse fish. Hiwever they say its up to anglers to educate themselves what to use!!!

I'm hoping that the days when vast quantities were put into our rivers are mainly in the past and any pitential oroblems...maybe of the sort we are experiencing on our rivers will be alleviated to a degree.

Graham

Hi Graham, have you been on the wine gums again. ;):):D

Hi Derek.

No its called thick fingers and android phone keyboard.

Although just hearing that daughter Chloe (who so many kindly donated re her Marathon Runs) has passed her Doctor medical exams with a distinction might lead to a few bottles of pop!

Graham

Not that it matters, but did I once read somewhere that the main bulk ingredient in coarse fish pellets, is chicken feathers?

Back