• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Low head turbine at Nafford weir

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
I was reading the April news letter on the BAA web site and it appears that there are plans for a Low head turbine on the W/Avon at Nafford weir . I was wondering if any one had heard any thing . I fish the area alot and know some other people that also fish the area .
Should I be concerned and worry to what impact it will have on the river and the fishing ?

http://www.baa.uk.com/uploads/baa_news_april_2012446c985b.pdf

I was reading the April news letter on the BAA web site and it appears that there are plans for a Low head turbine on the W/Avon at Nafford weir . I was wondering if any one had heard any thing . I fish the area alot and know some other people that also fish the area .
Should I be concerned and worry to what impact it will have on the river and the fishing ?

http://www.baa.uk.com/uploads/baa_news_april_2012446c985b.pdf
Saw this too Joe, well that would be us done for mate, if it happens... will do my utmost to campaign against it.

What with Otter droughts, EE's, comorants Zander, and now this, there has never been a better time to take up Golf :eek:

Saw this too Joe, well that would be us done for mate, if it happens... will do my utmost to campaign against it.

What with Otter droughts, EE's, comorants Zander, and now this, there has never been a better time to take up Golf :eek:

Neil I assume they are talking about Nafford weir and not got there wires crossed . As you know there is a weir on the Burlingham side . I dread to think what that will do to the fishing if it turns out to be that one :mad:

Neil I assume they are talking about Nafford weir and not got there wires crossed . As you know there is a weir on the Burlingham side . I dread to think what that will do to the fishing if it turns out to be that one :mad:

I am pretty sure they mean the 'Smiths' weir :mad:

Edit
Much Later

Joe and all Nafford regulars... I have re-read the BAA article and it talks of possibility of losing a few pegs below the weir...from that I can possibly deduce that it sounds as though it could be Nafford Weir proper, either way a problem still, but would be the lesser of two evils.
Perhaps you should ring John Williams Joe, he loves taking calls on a Saturday!!

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Guys this is from one of the local papers, my geography is poor so not sure if its the same.

Hydropower scheme a possibility | Evesham Observer
Group awarded grant to get electricity from weir (From Cotswold Journal)

We (TAC) have been campaigning against Thames Hydropower so can hopefully offer a bit of guidance if needed, do pm me. Worth talking to the Angling Trust as well

Meeting next week

'Transition Pershore is holding a public meeting on Friday, April 20, at 7.30pm, at Number 8, Pershore, when people can find out about hydropower from Len Marlow of All Rivers Hydro'

Cheers

Last edited:
Guys this is from one of the local papers, my geography is poor so not sure if its the same.

We (TAC) have been campaigning against Thames Hydropower so can hopefully offer a bit of guidance if needed, do pm me. Worth talking to the Angling Trust as well

Meeting next week

'Transition Pershore is holding a public meeting on Friday, April 20, at 7.30pm, at Number 8, Pershore, when people can find out about hydropower from Len Marlow of All Rivers Hydro'

Cheers

Cheers for that Dave your geography is spot on . Assuming that they have put up the right photo in the Evesham Obsever .
That is the weir on the Burlingham side of the Avon .
Smiths Angling have the rights to the weir pool to which I am a member .
So I will be getting in touch with the chairman and see if he is aware of the situation .
Thanks again Dave

Is there actually a weir at Nafford, looks like sluices to me.
rubchin.gif

No offense. Also I think they'll need some real flow and levels for the generator to generate any real power. At this rate, most rivers will be coming to a standstill come June 16th.
frown.gif

Meeting next week

Cheers

Its a travesty if this is allowed to happen, especially Pershore, it's Green gone silly, when will the ever consider that oxygenated water is a valuable commodity for all wild life? The impact would be huge and to supply a miserable kilowatts of energy to a few.

Is there actually a weir at Nafford, looks like sluices to me.
rubchin.gif

No offense. Also I think they'll need some real flow and levels for the generator to generate any real power. At this rate, most rivers will be coming to a standstill come June 16th.
frown.gif

Chris there is both a sluice and a weir :rolleyes:
The weir is of to the left before you get to the sluice gates :)

Its a travesty if this is allowed to happen, especially Pershore, it's Green gone silly, when will the ever consider that oxygenated water is a valuable commodity for all wild life? The impact would be huge and to supply a miserable kilowatts of energy to a few.

Neil there was also some talk a while ago of putting in Turbine at Pershore weir .I dont know what happend to the idea and if it ever got the go ahead

And who would be the benefactor of the Electricity ,the big house with the stunning garden owns it and the Island ,and surely cannot be short of a few bob for the leccie.

It would be a travesty imho to allow it,it is a lovely place and a super fishery .

I too am a member of Smiths and that is a very well run club so will put my tuppence worth in.

The really REALLY sad thing about these monstrosities is that apparently it is highly doubtful as to whether they will actually ever cover their own costs, let alone end up being a useful, economical way to generate power. It seems that they are just another 'must be seen to be doing ones bit to be green' type of nonsense that will cost a fortune and end up being junked.

Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't do such enormous environmental damage in the time between their proposers legging it to the bank with their huge profits, and it dawning on everyone else that once again, they have been had :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

And who would be the benefactor of the Electricity ,the big house with the stunning garden owns it and the Island ,and surely cannot be short of a few bob for the leccie.

It would be a travesty imho to allow it,it is a lovely place and a super fishery .

I too am a member of Smiths and that is a very well run club so will put my tuppence worth in.

Hi Chris and all,

I think that from the initial worry about as to where this thing is planned to be we can at least be reasonably satisfied that it is to be on that basin weir as opposed to the other one:rolleyes:

However, if this is to be the trend than it will have a huge impact on wildlife, not to mention the welfare of Otters:) Lets face it the weirs especially on the WA are perhaps the near only venues that fish well, and the thought of being deprived of real running water would be a disaster.

When these schemes are valued 'claw back' of initial costs has to be a factor, considered, and as with solar panels without Government subsidies they would just not be financially feasible, I take it these Hydro schemes are heavily subsidied also? and earning a nice kick back from the surplus that goes into the grid.

Again it's a case as with huge Land Subsidies paid out to the super rich that this is just another scheme to line landowners pockets, and the likes of you and me can go to hell.

Perhaps then we should fight it on the Otter front then, after all they would hardly take a few grubby anglers seriously.

Also, to the rear of Nafford we have a newly constructed nature reserve that involved constructing a large lake , the water was sourced from the Avon. there is also an established nature reserve, which I believe may be a SSI.

This hideous Hydro scheme would hardly be in the same ethos as those that care so much about the wild life ...would it?

The sooner we wake up to the fact that the only long term and sustainable energy is nuclear the better, and these so called 'Greens' can find another way of kidding the more innocent amongst us.

Hi Chris and all,

I think that from the initial worry about as to where this thing is planned to be we can at least be reasonably satisfied that it is to be on that basin weir as opposed to the other one:rolleyes:

However, if this is to be the trend than it will have a huge impact on wildlife, not to mention the welfare of Otters:) Lets face it the weirs especially on the WA are perhaps the near only venues that fish well, and the thought of being deprived of real running water would be a disaster.

When these schemes are valued 'claw back' of initial costs has to be a factor, considered, and as with solar panels without Government subsidies they would just not be financially feasible, I take it these Hydro schemes are heavily subsidied also? and earning a nice kick back from the surplus that goes into the grid.

Again it's a case as with huge Land Subsidies paid out to the super rich that this is just another scheme to line landowners pockets, and the likes of you and me can go to hell.

Perhaps then we should fight it on the Otter front then, after all they would hardly take a few grubby anglers seriously.

Also, to the rear of Nafford we have a newly constructed nature reserve that involved constructing a large lake , the water was sourced from the Avon. there is also an established nature reserve, which I believe may be a SSI.

This hideous Hydro scheme would hardly be in the same ethos as those that care so much about the wild life ...would it?

The sooner we wake up to the fact that the only long term and sustainable energy is nuclear the better, and these so called 'Greens' can find another way of kidding the more innocent amongst us.

Neil I emailed the chairman of Smiths AC and still waiting for a reply and hopefully he will be able to clarify as which weir its going to be .
You mention the new nature reserve . The soil/clay they dug out for the lake was used to build a flood defence around Pershore

We're currently having two archimedean screws installed on the Goyt just outside Manchester. As well as the environmental disruption caused by their building, the rivers and wildlife will suffer forever. As was pointed out earlier, they will take (literally) years to provide any profit to the investors (who are either naive, mad or just stupid) and produce so little energy back into the national grid that it renders the scheme pretty much impotent. That's also how I feel being a 'mere' angler and hoping common sense will prevail.

It rarely does, however, where 'green' projects are concerned. I consider myself environmentally conscientious and ordinarily applaud most green initiatives. Not these, however.....

Neil I emailed the chairman of Smiths AC and still waiting for a reply and hopefully he will be able to clarify as which weir its going to be .
You mention the new nature reserve . The soil/clay they dug out for the lake was used to build a flood defence around Pershore

OK Joe fingers crossed then , but pretty sure it's the Big Weir.

ITV West have just done a doomsday scenario piece on River levels in the region, and a wild life 'expert' was stressing the importance of River flow and Oxygenated Water for fish and others, and yet this plan if installed would reduce flow by 95% :eek: I would say they have NO chance of getting it passed, but better make sure I guess.

Joe, just had it confirmed from the 'Horses Mouth' it IS the main sluice, and much more 'reassurances' etc....need to find out some more which I can do with your and others help, but in the meantime I will send a follow up letter as to what if any impact on the fish will be, and all the agencies involved, it's not just Nafford, but other sites that may be more impactive.

Hi Chris and all,

You're spot on Neil. Nuclear is the only medium/longterm option, irrespective of any environmental impact it may have. Fiddling about with bits and pieces of so called green energy is only scratching at the surface of the energy issue and is a complete waste of time and money, notwithstanding the impact on the environment of this so called green junk.

Back