• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Low breaking strain mono

Steve Lewis

Following on from my Big Game query (now temporarily moot as I'm being given a joblot of Korum Xpert mono and braid), I still need to get some mono of 3-4lb for leger/feeder fishing for roach, chub etc in the winter.

I don't want Maxima - though it served me reliably for several years, its springiness and memory did my nut in.

I have some (new) Bayer Perlon, but last time I used that it was much better for trotting.

Recs?

Another for Match team line. Used it all last year for float fishing for Barbel in 8 to 10lb BS. Absolutely great supple, strong and very good knot strength.

Hi Jon.
Yes they do 7.9 and 9.1 lb bs and also used it for barbel trotting lots of times.

I use the 5.5 for general float work but on a feeder rod I'd go to 6.6 mainline and lower bs tail for chub if maggots/caster or straight through with meat / boilies or flake.

I used to use the Match team stuff, no complaints except it's not that available in my local tackle shops, for some years now I've been using Reflo power line, as good if not better.
For floatfishing maggots or corn, using smallish hooks, 14/16's, I generally start with the 0.13mm (4lb 12oz) as a hooklength and it copes very well with any Barbel or Carp that are hooked, I'm usually trying for Roach and don't often have to go any lighter. The 0.12 and 0.11 are equally excellent.
http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...w.anglingdirect.co.uk/preston-reflo-powerline

Funnily enough, I've also gone for the Reflo Power for the same reason of the Silstar not being available in my local shop. The diameters are, frankly, ridiculous (in a good way). Shame they don't do it in anything more than 100m.

I also bought a spool of Reflo Power Max in 5lb that was on offer.

I also have some Korum Reel line, which appears to be discontinued.

I've been buying Preston Reflo Power Max in preference to Maxima for the last year or two. I only tried because I bought a second hand reel that had some on that looked pristine. I don't do a great deal of light feeder fishing, but it has been spot on for my waggler work.

I've been buying Preston Reflo Power Max in preference to Maxima for the last year or two.

Maxima was always my go-to line historically for pretty much everything but, as I've said in a couple of other threads, its super springy memory absolutely did my nut in.

In fact, I don't really know why I didn't change before - not as if it was that much significantly cheaper than the rest. A case of better the devil, perhaps, for it was always an otherwise reliable line.

Maxima was always my go-to line historically for pretty much everything but, as I've said in a couple of other threads, its super springy memory absolutely did my nut in.

I'm a bit surprised to read that you find it super springy and have memory issues. I can't say that I ever had such problems with Maxima. However, it's worth noting that it's distinctly old tech and vastly understated I also never used Maxima in anything greater than 6lb. You may just find that dropping down the diameter/breaking strain is enough to alleviate some issues. I'm using 4lb Power Max for waggler mainline. I suspect that the closest Maxima equivalent would be 2-3lb tops.

Now I know many people swear by the stuff, but if you want springy and loads of memory, try the original brown Daiwa Sensor. It does have the distinct advantage of being rather cheap, far cheaper than Maxima.

Like you Chris for years I used maxima as a mainline in 1.5, 2, 3 and 4lb and it was a perfect waggler and feeder line in that bracket. However I always used a hook link of mainly strontium gtm.

Back