• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lost the mojo...

I often have a look in on here to see what's happening in the world of barbel fishing yet haven't picked up a rod for lord knows how long.
It doesn't seem like long ago that my sleep was being severly hampered by thoughts of the Avon and it's inhabitants in the nights before a day out on the bank.
These days however I think I would really struggle to sit still on the bank. As I type this waiting for the start of a fell race in deepest, darkest Cumbria I have to question my sanity a little. It is 3.7'c and raining!
Couldn't say I have lost any mojo, evidently I still think about. Strangely, I think running over mountains and fishing very similar really, both connections with the natural world to the joint of being quite spiritual, meditative pastimes really.
Good luck for the coming year all.
And to anyone who is suffering from losing any mojo, just let yourself work it out, no good forcing it for what you think you should be doing, when clearly you don't want to be!

I cycled a long stretch of the Wye yesterday - canoeists/dog walkers and twitchers but not an angler in sight - seems we all may have a lost a little mojo at present.

Well, I'm going to cast a bait into the river on Tuesday. When I think about the river and its environs I find it very difficult to contain my excitement.

So there. :)

Paul. 5 or 6 on the Wye town stretch including me.

Howard had a few nice chub.

Chance of some barbel or two next few days.

As Graham mentions, I managed a few nice chub yesterday (after Graham had kindly baited the swim for me with bread!) which isn't an exceptional event by any stretch of the imagination. But I returned home with a spring in my step and simply because I had finally managed a few hours on the bank and even enjoyed some bites and fish. Perspective is everything here and mine was simply about seeking a mini escape from thinking about work. So I actually didn't care terribly whether I caught, I just wanted to be out on the bank. My perspective might be different if I had nothing to escape from.

What was also fun about yesterdays visit to the Wye was a trotting contest Graham and I had. Fishing with Graham's float rod, we had 10 trots each. Simple, schoolboy stuff that can be a reminder why we love fishing and often its not just about the fish or the fishing.

What was also fun about yesterdays visit to the Wye was a trotting contest Graham and I had. Fishing with Graham's float rod, we had 10 trots each. Simple, schoolboy stuff that can be a reminder why we love fishing and often its not just about the fish or the fishing.

Good post Howard,...who won?

Dave. He only let me have two of his maggots to fish with:rolleyes:

I fished for a few blank hours on bread. Very unusual as normally good for a few chub.

When H came I suggested he had a few trots with his maggots in the swim just to see abd lent him my rod as he was fishing feeder.

As you do, I fired in half his maggots pre cast...he managed one second trot.
My two maggots just didn't work....so I retrieved my rod and went home. :eek:

Seriously, after that the fish realised I had left and they were probably safe from being caught by an expert and started to feed;)

My rod has now a new transfer sticker on it.

FPU only :D

I should say that the maggots fired in were aimed mostly at me (blaming the wind wasn't fooling anyone) so in retaliation I caught the only chub in the swim. I though we might have a visit from the resident but angry barbel that lives at the end of the trot on the edge of an overhanging bush. But I guess even barbel lose their mojo too.

I do have the same rod-its still got the wrapping on it. Might be time to give it some air. They are actually quite good.

Howard,.. you have that wonderful knack of making even an average fishing session sound interesting. Looking forward to the next instalment.:D
Re the mojo, .. I'm starting to sadly count the days to close season and as usual realising that I'm not going to get around to fishing all those good looking swims that I had promised myself back in the Spring. Not quite mild panic but almost.:rolleyes:

Back to adjusting to the retirement thingy...i have just been to the cinema tonight - Monday - it feels some what strange if not very odd, even a slight guilt, as this is or should i say was a working week night and one does not do such stuff...weird!!

I agree Paul, I always lose track of what day it is, and generally go by what's for dinner! If the other half decides to change the menu I'm totally thrown.:eek:
One thing I really do notice is that the weeks fly by so quickly, too quick for my liking.

Back