• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Loss of fish haunting - redemption

Andrew Burt

I'm sure we have all lost a big fish we never saw and we keep living that feeling and experience? Well, I cannot get out much or go far because of my recent op but the weather Sunday was such that I had to - for a few hours at least. I managed on my crutches to get my gear to a very safe peg on the Warwickshire Avon and set up for a few hours. After about an hour I hooked a decent chub that took the large meat offering, it fell off. Then I missed two bites, thinking the meat was too large a portion I punched a smaller bit out. The next bite I hooked what I thought was a very big chub, that is until I got it in close when it powered off down the river. I repeated this a few times, it was a heavy lump and I was wondering just how big. Eventually it was under my rod end and I lifted only to feel a juddering as the barbel entered a previously unknown snag. It went back and forth, I slack lined and couldn't loosen it. Eventually I could not feel any pulling back, it had gone, I pulled for a break and retrieved everything but the hook. I was gutted and could think of little else than what might have been, the possibility I had lost a special fish.

I commented to a mate that barbel could be a bit daft and I thought there was a slim chance it would feed the next day. So, yesterday I returned and repeated the struggle to the peg except this time it had a cold easterly and rain. I sat there in the rain and after two hours the tip went around. I hooked the fish and realised quickly it was another big barbel. The more the fight went on it repeated the performance from the previous day and I thought I had hooked the same fish. This time I was wary of the snag and after a protracted battle close in I netted it. The first thing I did after resting her for a few minutes was to check in the mouth, was it the same one? i couldn't believe it, there was my hook from the previous day! For once I wasn't going to add another to the list of what might have been, the relief was immense!

Inevitably it wasn't the giant my imagination led me to believe but still a great fish at 12lb 2oz and that haunting exorcised!
IMG_7049.JPG
IMG_7048.jpg

I'm sure we have all lost a big fish we never saw and we keep living that feeling and experience? Well, I cannot get out much or go far because of my recent op but the weather Sunday was such that I had to - for a few hours at least. I managed on my crutches to get my gear to a very safe peg on the Warwickshire Avon and set up for a few hours. After about an hour I hooked a decent chub that took the large meat offering, it fell off. Then I missed two bites, thinking the meat was too large a portion I punched a smaller bit out. The next bite I hooked what I thought was a very big chub, that is until I got it in close when it powered off down the river. I repeated this a few times, it was a heavy lump and I was wondering just how big. Eventually it was under my rod end and I lifted only to feel a juddering as the barbel entered a previously unknown snag. It went back and forth, I slack lined and couldn't loosen it. Eventually I could not feel any pulling back, it had gone, I pulled for a break and retrieved everything but the hook. I was gutted and could think of little else than what might have been, the possibility I had lost a special fish.

I commented to a mate that barbel could be a bit daft and I thought there was a slim chance it would feed the next day. So, yesterday I returned and repeated the struggle to the peg except this time it had a cold easterly and rain. I sat there in the rain and after two hours the tip went around. I hooked the fish and realised quickly it was another big barbel. The more the fight went on it repeated the performance from the previous day and I thought I had hooked the same fish. This time I was wary of the snag and after a protracted battle close in I netted it. The first thing I did after resting her for a few minutes was to check in the mouth, was it the same one? i couldn't believe it, there was my hook from the previous day! For once I wasn't going to add another to the list of what might have been, the relief was immense!

Inevitably it wasn't the giant my imagination led me to believe but still a great fish at 12lb 2oz and that haunting exorcised! View attachment 28837View attachment 28838
12lb 2oz??? That would be big enough for me! Great story and lovely fish. Well done 👍

Glad you managed to catch it second time round, well done for the capture, but more so for making it to the swim with your gear on crutches 🙂🙌.
Out of interest was the hook a barbed or barbless Andrew?

Good effort, Andrew! Especially with crutches!! I recall a spell on crutches in my early 30s when, having struggled to the kitchen to make a cuppa, I realised I couldn't get the tea and me back to the sofa 🤦‍♂️ 😆
I've been there :)! 2nd knee replacement now. It is awkward, I look at where I have to go and say to myself 'right, off you go' and hope I don't drop/spill it. 😂

Glad you managed to catch it second time round, well done for the capture, but more so for making it to the swim with your gear on crutches 🙂🙌.
Out of interest was the hook a barbed or barbless Andrew?
It was a barbed Drennan barbel hook. Both came out easily with forceps. The one that broke of was in a strange position.

Why oh why oh why cant you (deleted) lay a barbel on a mat (deleted) ! Is it that difficult in this day and age to just carry a mat and use it on a big fish or any fish come to that , dont give me all that soft grass (deleted) , get a mat and use it !!!!!

Moderator edited

How can grass be better than an unhooking mat ?

It's a natural mat, and not full of old slim off previously caught fish as an unhooking mat is, which is an excellent way to transfer bacteria etc.
It always makes me chuckle to myself when people harp on about mats, although I agree there are places where there is no excuse not to use a mat or some form of protection for a fish.
Think to yourself, what are fish living amongst, they actively live in amongst weeds, rocks, pointy branches etc etc. Those are just some of the natural things in a river, then there are all the objects wich are thrown in the rivers, road signs, shopping trollies, bottles, plastics etc etc.
When we hook fish we have to drag them through all those obstacles.
During the summer months when the fish are irritated by lice they are often seen jumping clear of the water surface. As they re entre the water they swim at speed to the bottom and rub against all manner of objects in an attempt to remove the lice. Barbel are not a fish that flops about unless left there for too long.

Ian your post contradicts itself
First you say they are terrible things that spread bacteria and diseases then you say there are times and places where one should be used.

Which is it mate?

Just a thought but mats can be looked after. Mine gets a good blast with the karcher quite regularly.
They are tools at the end of the day. And like all tools they can be used correctly or mistreated.
It’s not the fault of the mat if it’s mistreated

I was hoping for some support on this issue but it doesn't look likes it coming , why why why do you take the chance that sharp twig doesn't catch the eye or a couple of scales are lost all for the sake of " i cant be arsed " , "its ok its on grass " , if i ran a club it would be mandortory that ALL fish are laid on a mat especially when being photod , if that fish decided to flip and roll around no ones holding it and whose to say what it rolls onto/ into , come on ffs , mats are cheap and lightweight , doesnt take much carrying , why risk ANY injury all because the captor thinks grass is better than a mat , beggars belief in this day and age

I was hoping for some support on this issue but it doesn't look likes it coming , why why why do you take the chance that sharp twig doesn't catch the eye or a couple of scales are lost all for the sake of " i cant be arsed " , "its ok its on grass " , if i ran a club it would be mandortory that ALL fish are laid on a mat especially when being photod , if that fish decided to flip and roll around no ones holding it and whose to say what it rolls onto/ into , come on ffs , mats are cheap and lightweight , doesnt take much carrying , why risk ANY injury all because the captor thinks grass is better than a mat , beggars belief in this day and age
Chris,

This is obviously something you feel very passionate about, and that is good. I agree with you on basically everything you’ve said. Nevertheless, I think the delivery of your message is well off kilter. I’m sure- no, I’m certain- that you’d gain more support if you tried putting your valid and well thought out views across with less aggression. I’m saying this seriously and with no intention of being patronising because, like you, I care about fish welfare and I’d rather people were won over by gracious posts than put off by angry rants.

Al

Ian your post contradicts itself
First you say they are terrible things that spread bacteria and diseases then you say there are times and places where one should be used.

Which is it mate?

Just a thought but mats can be looked after. Mine gets a good blast with the karcher quite regularly.
They are tools at the end of the day. And like all tools they can be used correctly or mistreated.
It’s not the fault of the mat if it’s mistreated

Do you sterilise your mat after every fish Richard?
As a fish keeper, on and off for most of my life I do have a good idea on fish care.

All this nonsense about a twigg poking out a fishs etc is just that, nonesense.
There is a thousand more chance of a fish having it's eye poked out when the angler is playing it in.

Anyhow, if I remember rightly there is a dedicated thread on this subject and to be fair it might be best if any other comments on the mat or no mat saga should be on there.
It has made a mess of Andrews thread, maybe admin could move or delete all these posts spoiling the thread?

Back