• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Looking to make a massive baitdropper for close in on flooded Severn

Lee Williams

I have ordered a 6" x 2" barbecue smoker with a fine mesh, plan is to glue a rod tube cap over one end attacy some 80lb nylon in a loop with a large swivel on. This leaves the issue of the other end... Securing and releasing bait. Would 2 pva bags placed over the tube and held with a thick elastic band suffice do you think. Plan is to get a large quantity of hemp/pellets on the deck in front of me very quickly. Any obvious pitfalls here I am missing or any ideas on the release process?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171101-054905.jpg
    Screenshot_20171101-054905.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 288
Lee,
The Pva bag will probably work, but hemp is wet so may melt the bag before you get it in river, and the second load would be even harder to keep dry.
I would try plugging the end with liquidised bread or stiff groundbait.
Mike

Have a word with Dave Chambers - you'll find him on facebook, he can sell you just the thing...

Make yourself a door/flap using a can with a similar diameter.Cut it from the can with a can opener that cuts off the outside not the inside of the end so its not sharp.The hinge can be made with two separate split rings, apart, so the door does not slide sideways and drop open by accident.Bend a thick coat hanger wire to shape to make the door opener you can use rubber beads forced on to the wire to limit the movement.You can put a large ledger on the wire and hammer it to secure.I saw someone make a bait dropper out of a bait box many years ago the only downfall was the extra sea rod and reel needed to put it out.

My mate used a sieve cheap from any supermarket. Attach a lid with a split ring as mentioned above line ties on the handle. Crude but effective.

Make yourself a door/flap using a can with a similar diameter.Cut it from the can with a can opener that cuts off the outside not the inside of the end so its not sharp.The hinge can be made with two separate split rings, apart so the door does not slide sideways and drop open by accident.Bend a thick coat hanger wire to shape to make the door opener you can use rubber beads forced on to the wire to limit the movement.You can put a large ledger on the wire and hammer it to secure.I saw someone make a bait dropper out of a bait box many years ago the only downfall was the extra sea rod and reel needed to put it out.

Been there, done that!
Made one for the Avon years ago, using bait box with a hinged alloy perforated mesh flap.
The weight when loaded nearly dislocated yer wrist, ... needed a broomstick to handle it, plus the risk of disaster if it dumped in the wrong place.
You can baitdrop a heap of bait into a near bank swim very quickly using medium manageable droppers,... no need for mega versions imo.

There's guys that make swimfeeders to order (I've had some very large ones knocked up). Sure they'd do you a massive one that could be easily plugged with groundbait (e.g. Vitalin would work well I reckon).
ATVB.

Back