• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Looking to change my car ..... Any advice on what to buy ?

Don't over worry about mud or the chance of getting bogged down. A purchase of some fairly standard snow chains will change any car a vehicle that will get you anywhere. Let's be honest most we all know what areas we get bogged down in. I have a 4x4 and a friend had a qashqai and with the aid of snow chains he went through a field trouble free and I was all over the place. Obs knowing when to it the chains on helps and it only takes 2 mins each side. Just a thought.

John. If you are going over wet muddy fields I would always use a 4x4. Especially if the land is grazing.

My Quattro is amazing. Been axle deep and just keep going.

So Audi Quattro Avant 4 or 6 added to the choice.

Don't over worry about mud or the chance of getting bogged down. A purchase of some fairly standard snow chains will change any car a vehicle that will get you anywhere. Let's be honest most we all know what areas we get bogged down in. I have a 4x4 and a friend had a qashqai and with the aid of snow chains he went through a field trouble free and I was all over the place. Obs knowing when to it the chains on helps and it only takes 2 mins each side. Just a thought.

2 minutes each side, Jon, what snow chains does your friend have ??? And where can we get some ??? :)

I had a Freelander HST for several years and would give it thumbs up.
19" Tyres were expensive
30 - 35 mpg in the real world ,sold mine at 130000miles for £5900 everything still worked.
For ultimate traction a lot will depends on what tyres you fit to the 4 x 4, road tyres wont help the cause.

Did 179000 in a skoda 2 litre skodal Octavia td estate diesel dsg, my other half she had a hip replacement a while back , got stuck once in winter, have now changed to a yeti 4 x4 2 litre dsg diesel , tiny bit shorter , but all the back seats fold or can be removed, better on fuel than most of the bus like 4x4,s while still pleasant to drive on normal roads.

Both myself and my mate have Nissan X Trails, and neither of us have had any problems. Having said that, I'd prefer something a little bigger if I'm honest.

Nick C

I'd say go for a Yeti, the 40/20/40 split on the rear seats makes it dead easy to get rods in even though it's shorter than my previous Astra estate. Very economical and a joy to drive.

Both myself and my mate have Nissan X Trails, and neither of us have had any problems. Having said that, I'd prefer something a little bigger if I'm honest.

Nick C
Nick I wish I could say the same for my X Trail , The latest problem I have with mine is the rear offside wheel bearing . There are problems with removing the old bearing and its going to cost a lot of cash to fix it .:mad:

Nick I wish I could say the same for my X Trail , The latest problem I have with mine is the rear offside wheel bearing . There are problems with removing the old bearing and its going to cost a lot of cash to fix it .:mad:

12 months ago I was looking for a new car and the xtrail was one I was looking at as I was thinking of 4x4. but after reading up about them and there reliability problems I stayed clear. then looked at hond crv's as they had good reliability write ups...looked at one and decided not enough room.

thought about do I really need 4x4 because even if you do have one its almost pointless if your running road tyres so went for 2 wheel drive.

ultimately I wanted a car where the rods would lay flat in the back without protruding into the front and there is not that many out there. went for a V70 D5. very nice car, economy ok and bags of room for fishing.

Back