• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

looking for a new pair of reels for ipowers

Does anyone use the Drennan 7 series baitrunner reels? I’m tempted by the smaller model for my winter chub fishing... Slowly building up enough gear to cover all my bases for spring tenching, summer & autumn barbelling and winter chubbing without having to keep packing down and resetting up rods & reels in the transitional times of the year. First world problems, eh?

Back on topic, another shout to the Aero X 4000 from me. Certainly up for anything I use them for on the Hants Avon or Dorset Stour. Performed well on a Wye trip in less than perfect conditions too.

So the most I cast is about 2oz and no further than 20ft so will the 4000d be up to that

I take it you are fishing the upper lea and the nene both relatively small rivers so why would you need a bait runner ray ?
If you want a reel with a great clutch the Diawa ss2600 is a great reel
I fish the upper lea in the winter and I use shimano aero,s but never use the bait runner facility if I coul get away with buying more reels I would get the ss2600,s

I take it you are fishing the upper lea and the nene both relatively small rivers so why would you need a bait runner ray ?
I fish the upper lea in the winter and I use shimano aero,s but never use the bait runner facility if I coul get away with buying more reels I would get the ss2600,s
Why do I need baitrunner well some of the takes on the nene are Savage and I like to keep my rods on the bank

Fair enough I just find diawa clutches far superior a mate of mine uses 2600,s on the Trent.. just loosens the front drag and cups the spool when he gets a take like in the days before bait runners it’s what your used to I suppose

well some of the takes on the nene are Savage
I’ll second that. Average sized nene barbel is probably about 11lb and they will give your ipowers about 1/2 a second in the rest
I actually don’t use my baitrunner facility 90% of the time as I’m often sitting on the rods. However I couldn’t be without a baitrunner. As soon as you cast out the second rod you just know it’s gonna start to rain so a quick click to set the baitrunner while you drag out the brolley. I’m flicking the baitrunner on a good few times in a session when I want to take my eye off the rods for a second.

Get on the centrepin nothing better then a screaming run on the pin 👍

Daiwa Theory 4000 SP is a belter. Great clutch, compact with a real quality build. Probably the best reel I’ve owned and I’ve had a few. If Carlsberg made reels...

Back