• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Looking for a braid mainline piking

Paul Clotworthy

Looking for a good braid to do two reels around 40lb/50lb minimum of 200m on both reels any recommendations for one or advice what are other using
Regards

Why do you want so much on your reels, unless you are using a bait boat? It will also cost a lot to put that much braid on each reel. I put no more than about 75 yds on a reel and use a heavy mono to back it up. Over the years I think you’ll find that PowerPro has been just about the most popular braid. it is sold in either 135 or 275m spools and retails at about £20 and £30 respectively.

What about if he wants to keep his options open to drift float fishing. Granted 200 m is optimistic but 75 yards would be pushing it for any serious distance work. I’d want minimum 100m so I plenty left on the spool to play with

Powerpro 50lb you’ll have no problems with it.
(Buy from a reputable source as there is a lot of counterfeit powerpro braid out there, bleak hall sports sells genuine stuff)

always best to load the spool with a fair amount of braid as it lasts many seasons. Reverse the braid on the spool when it starts to show its age.

Works out cheaper than mono given the longevity of the braid.

Another shout for Moss green 50lb (0.36) Power Pro. Just make sure you don’t buy fake copies, I’m told there is quite a big of hooky stuff out there. And check the diameter is 0.36mm.

As Darren says it lasts for years...good value line in the long run.

Agree with all above, but I'll add ... I always physically check the bs of all braid I buy (and any new brand of mono/fluoro)
N.b... someone wrote on a thread on here that the knot strength of braid is 50-75% of line strength. I've found the opposite to be true : braid is much more likely to break between knots than at knots. I mean ...it doesn't crimp, does it.

Spiderwire for me. The latest one, I made the mistake of ordering by breaking strain, 35 lb, rather than diameter. I wanted something around 0.25mm. it turned out it was only 0.13mm.
A new 8 strand version apparently. Not complaining by any stretch of the imagination, IIRC 0.25mm comes out about 60lb.
It's good stuff and available in various colours and breaking strains strains. I like the yellow for surface use and the green for ledgering.
Floats like a cork.

Back