• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Long trotting big baits for chub

George, I've got a Shakespeare mach 3 XT 15ft gathering dust if you're interested. Only used a couple of times so in VGC. It weighs around 7oz and is rated to 6lb line. Was looking for £35.
PM me if interested.

Silstar..
Highly reliable, low diameter and good knot strength. Not fully pre stretched. Used for many years.

I still recommend long shank hooks, for added bread hold allowing soft flake around point and personally don't think for chub you need a heavy hook. In fact one of my Stour very very succesful pals uses red maggot fine wire hooks and loses very few fish.

Hope that helps.
Wholeheartedly agree here with Graham re Silstar as hook length, poss on the reel also. I've used it for as long as it's been manufactured. It's totally reliable, lowish diameter and suple. It is now marketed as Team Match, under license by W B Clarke. Beware of Silstar branded stock, it may be quite old.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Match-Tea...hash=item3aaa518614:m:mnEUiZ096eX_Jx-BcblBhAg

Be a little wary of the rods you favour if you choose to try braid as a mainline. My experience has been that the fast actioned rods, that I tend to prefer when trotting with mono, can sometimes be a little harsh and unforgiving when used with braid. You might find that you end up bumping a few more fish than you'd normally expect to. You may also find lighter mono hooklinks breaking rather unexpectedly. In some cases, minor adjustments to striking and playing techniques can overcome the issue. However, some fast actioned rods are simply that bit too fierce for use with braid.

Last edited:
Very good advice from Chris there.

I would just add that with any braid caught around the rod tip, unwrap by hand rather than try and pull it free by the end rig.

Wholeheartedly agree here with Graham re Silstar as hook length, poss on the reel also. I've used it for as long as it's been manufactured. It's totally reliable, lowish diameter and suple. It is now marketed as Team Match, under license by W B Clarke. Beware of Silstar branded stock, it may be quite old.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Match-Tea...hash=item3aaa518614:m:mnEUiZ096eX_Jx-BcblBhAg
Totally agree with all above. And yes, it knots well, but I triple check my knots with it as it seems VERY smooth/slippy. I don't reckon an untucked blood knot would be safe at all. At times I've ended up tying a single overhand knot in the tag end, very close to the knot, to be 100.00% sure/confident.

Totally agree with all above. And yes, it knots well, but I triple check my knots with it as it seems VERY smooth/slippy. I don't reckon an untucked blood knot would be safe at all. At times I've ended up tying a single overhand knot in the tag end, very close to the knot, to be 100.00% sure/confident.
That simple overhand knot or fig 8 knot on the tag end, i have employed for a helluva long time as it makes a poor knot great.

If you are going to use big bread punches for chub fishing like in Julians link a method i use when punch fishing for roach might be worth trying.You hook the bread disc at the edge,push the hook thru rotate and pull the point back in the opposite side.The disc then sits on the bend and when it expands it goes up the hook covering it.

I stopped using a blood knot (tucked or other wise) once I became aware of the 'five turn grinner' knot, which was back in the late 70's. I've never needed to tie a second knot either, overhand or fig-8 to stop the primary knot slipping/untying. I have found the grinner, used with both mono and braid to be very easy to tie and consistently reliable.

When the modern braids first appeared Don Neish, of Don's of Edmonton, did some extensive tests and research on knots, it was my local tackle shop near work so chatted with him quite a lot on the subject.
The research boiled down to (for braid) the Grinner gave 50% line strength and the Palomar 70% .
He did invent a 85% line strength knot involving doubled line and loops but it's not that practical for bankside tying.
Palomar tested out as best for nylon too.

I've been using N-Gage as a mainline for a long time now (2 years) and urge anyone trotting try it. It's AMAZING no memory, strong ,floats or sinks, and is thin .13 I use for roach trotting is 4lb. You need a fine line for trotting for the best float control. I'd use to fool myself 2lb Maxima was the line to use, but it breaks at almost 3lb and has a wide diameter. I use the 7lb N-Gage for chub and trotting. As mentioned above the Preston that Keith used comes close, but after two years I prefer the Guru line. I would still use Maxima or Daiwa for ledgering.

Back