• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Long hooklink casting

Steve Brand

Been using long hooklinks lately and have had a few issues casting Ie 5/ 6 foot long jobs,dont seem to have any control what so ever any tips for shortening link prior to cast dont want to be messing with pva.
Banks I fish are well overgrown and I have hooked my umbrella a couple of times ok up to about three feet then I get into all sorts of grief.

What about creating a couple of loops in the hooklength then tie off with pva if you are using a coated braid??????

Put a piece of pva foam on the hook. I only ever have bother if the winds in my face. Also feather the cast making mainline tighter and the hook link will take its own path?

If you're using a ground bait feeder bury part of the hooklength in it making a loop. Used to do it all the time bream fishing

If you're using a ground bait feeder bury part of the hooklength in it making a loop. Used to do it all the time bream fishing

That sounds good advice had thought of burying the hook and bait but could get hooked into cage feeders so your tip sound the dogs simplest usualy the best.

How deep is the water you fish? If it's shallow enough I tend to wade out and lower baits in with long hooklengths under rafts etc..... creates less disturbance too and you can drop it exactly where you like.

How deep is the water you fish? If it's shallow enough I tend to wade out and lower baits in with long hooklengths under rafts etc..... creates less disturbance too and you can drop it exactly where you like.

Nice idea Dan but its the Trent below Newark might get a little damp :)

Pva bag attached to the lead via snap link. Then hook the hook on the bag therefore halving the hook length once it's in the water it straightens out.

Pva the hook to the lead swivel.once the pva melts, the hook length should straighten out in the current.
Rather than fiddling around with pva tape or string, have you seen or tried the pva cable ties?
Dead easy and quick. My piking buddy, eddie turner has them on his website. Brilliant for a number of presentations!! Sshhh

After spending years working out how to cast zigs the best way is out of a bucket
But put a ova nugget on your hook to mask it as I have been know to throw my bucket into the water lol

Pva the hook to the lead swivel.once the pva melts, the hook length should straighten out in the current.
Rather than fiddling around with pva tape or string, have you seen or tried the pva cable ties?
Dead easy and quick. My piking buddy, eddie turner has them on his website. Brilliant for a number of presentations!! Sshhh

Checked these out Dave but they come In a bit strong price wise for me i think.
a standard small tie round a grippa lead with a hole In It should hold a bag nicely.
The added advantage Is if the bag is firmly secured to the lead Its not likely to detach before breaking down properly and roll off down stream taking the freebies with It.
PVA ties £1.80 for 10 standard small ties about £2.00 max on e bay for a hundred just snip off and fasten a new tie on simples;);)

I know you said that you did'nt want to flaff about with pva Steve, but it does the businness.
Lots of variations on the same theme, but I just tie up some bags and either tie or clip them onto the lead and nick the hook into them.
I like the sound of ET's cable ties Dave. ;)

One problem with a single 6 foot looped tail is that it is possible for the loop to get behind the lead or feeder on the cast, ..more likely with a feeder.
Thinking outside the box,..so bear with me on this one,.:D
I like to use a pulley rig when beachcasting, which halves the hooklink length, and clips the bait behind the lead on the cast, so no fear of wrap-rounds.
The only examples I can find are for sea fishing, but the rig could be refined for rivers.
To save you from wading through 500 boring words from me, heres Alan Yates demonstrating the basics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJzOYkNtkOo

Back