• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lockdown musings

Jon Frisby

Senior Member & Supporter
Just bought my terrier some new dog food, from one of those very popular German outlets. Years ago I caught carp on Coshida cat food, this dog food got me musing if its worth a shout. Looks great, about 12mm by 12mm too. 20201111_082330.jpg20201111_082415.jpg

Hi Jon, Yes tried some varieties of Coshida several years back. Caught a barbel and chub on it but was a bit difficult to keep on the hook on warmer days. Eventually ended up feeding it to my akita - who loved it!
Cheers
Bob

Hi Jon, I've got two jack russells (the wife insists they are hers but we all know the truth....) and I have often wondered about using various of their food items. In particular, they had some treats which smelt exactly like Trefor's Sausage Sizzle. Sod it, I am going to give them a go.....

I used to mix pedigree chum with breadcrumbs to make a paste, had lots of barbel on it just "rolling", no lead needed.

Very sticky, I hated getting my hands messy so got my wife to mix it :D

Was on the Kennet years ago and a guy asked what my pal and I were using, as we'd had a lot of barbel each. Told him the truth (not into this secret stuff). Expecting he would buy some for a future session but no, he drove to the nearby shops and bought a tin plus some breadcrumbs, and proceeded to mix on the river bank. Bad idea, he ended up with the whole sticky mess on all of his fingers. We all laughed like hell :D

Had a couple of seasons catching on this, but then it switched off.

I would be keen to try any doggy or catty foods if there was a head of barbel (as was on the Kennet a long while back) but wouldn't risk it when these days I'm fishing for just one bite per session.

Many French pecheurs use Frolicks dog biscuits hair-rigged for carp and catfish. I've had barbel, chub and carp on them over the years I have been out here. It is a very reliable bait even on areas where there has been little or no fishing. There is also a bait company that sells ground Frolicks as a groundbait additive or to be used in a boilie mix.

Hi Jon, I've got two jack russells (the wife insists they are hers but we all know the truth....) and I have often wondered about using various of their food items. In particular, they had some treats which smelt exactly like Trefor's Sausage Sizzle. Sod it, I am going to give them a go.....
Yes same here the wife bought 2 terriers and have been since they matured. I'm gonna give it a go too.

Many French pecheurs use Frolicks dog biscuits hair-rigged for carp and catfish. I've had barbel, chub and carp on them over the years I have been out here. It is a very reliable bait even on areas where there has been little or no fishing. There is also a bait company that sells ground Frolicks as a groundbait additive or to be used in a boilie mix.
HI Clive, been a long time, hope your well and enjoying the French tranquility.

Bet you have to careful saying that after a bottle of rouge Clive :eek:

I wouldn't know Bill. I rarely drink these days, but much of the French language is still a mystery to me. 😀

Hi John. Yes, thanks. We are both well and enjoying the slower pace of life. Hope things are good with you and if you get chance could you pop a couple of double figure barbel in the post? I've forgotten what they look like.

Back