• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

loading line to centre pin

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
whats the best way to attach the line to a centre pin that has spokes rather than a solid drum style ? Feels like a daft question but if not done properly it can impeded the line coming off the spool (as I have found out !). I only put about 50yds on the spool. thanks.

whats the best way to attach the line to a centre pin that has spokes rather than a solid drum style ? Feels like a daft question but if not done properly it can impeded the line coming off the spool (as I have found out !). I only put about 50yds on the spool. thanks.
I have never had a problem with a Aerial cage, just i have it coming off the bottom, always,
now bedding in of the line after i have caught something big is my biggest gripe with these reels.:(

Cliff, tie the line to one of the bars, take a length of insulating tape and pass it around the back of the bar and about half an inch underneath, press tape together enclosing knot and tab, now run the tape over the top of the main line to the next bar, split the tape end and go under and back either side of the line and press tape together, nice and simple ;)

I push the line behind one of the bars and then tie the knot to the next bar. This means that the knot sits 'inside' the reel and doesn't interfere with the line as you wind it on.

Simon, not sure that sounds simple !! I did use tape on my recent attempt but it worked lose and then started to catch the line during trotting which prompted this post !

the line lays are strong enough to tie mono direct too , now i tie all my lines direct to a linelay/piller .i do pass it under the next one along then tie it to the line lay ,so when the line is pulled tight to wind on the knott is pulled downwards out of the way to get a even line lay .i use 3 granny knots

i put 70m on my pins as 50m might be ok on some rivers but on the trent/derwent or others i can trot 50m easily so i like a little in reserve .but you'll know where your likley to fish and can decide how much line too load & if ledgering then 50m should be all you need

as to wether to have the line exiting off the top or bottom (in my experiance bottom is best) your probably best to try bothways then decide which suits you.

Thanks all, I like the sound of the way Steve does it and will try that. I have the line running from the top, prefer it that way personally.

I. Am not a centre pin expert and not sure if this is right or not but I tie a grinner or butchers slip knot round the spindle .it keeps the knot out of the way and is secure
Albert

the golden rule is

any knot you have confidence in ,is ok .if you get down to the knot and put it too test ,then you've failed to put enough line on.

There are no rights or wrongs :).

I never use tape as the sticky can bleed out and cause problems.

I have line coming off the bottom.

I use backing of mono, tied to a spacer, leave 1" ends and ensure the first few turns trap the ends. Then I thread on a 1" piece of yellow 1mm bore silicone sleeving, join backing mono to mainline (braid in my case) with a double grinner, leave 1/2" ends, then pull the sleeving over the knot and the ends. This yellow is a good tell-tale as to where the mainline (assuming you cut some off for any reason) and the backing joins.

Now a tip, illustrated using simple arithmetic (happened last night)

Picture029_zps89f09c01.jpg

PLUS

Picture030_zps3ca838b9.jpg

EQUALS

Picture031_zps1fef062e.jpg

paul4

Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel fishing

Back