• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Litter.

The one that really staggers me is the dog walkers who pick up there darlings mess , bag it up neatly then leave it hanging in a prominent bush , presumably for the faries and elfs to clear up at dusk ! Unbelievable ...

I know what you mean about bins but the one in question is emptied weekly so there's no excuse in my eyes when you have to walk past it to get to your car.

With regard to general litter the fast food chains are the biggest problem and I think we all know the biggest culprit but they are quite happy as the bags littering our roads and hedgerows is free advertising for them. I expect if the law prohibited outer packaging to be branded then they'd soon reduce it to save money but right now it's cheap advertising. Having said that, it's one of reasons I don't go there.

My two pence worth. :D

cheers
Al

Just back from a week in Germany,with my sons prospective in-laws, spent a few days in Feldberg,a beautiful area of big natural lakes and woodland in former east Germany ...... very popular holiday area, and stuffed with fishing areas.....BIG Pike , Perch ,Bream ,Roach,Zander, plus whatever else.. and best of all, not a bit of litter anywhere, never saw a bit despite walking the banks for miles, anglers there obviously take their fishing and condition of their waters seriously, not just the anglers, but the general public, as there was no litter to be seen anywhere, not even chewing gum on the footpaths.
Makes me ask where we have gone wrong in the UK?
I think generally it is a lack of respect for our surroundings and each other, brought about by a couple of generations of do gooders who hate to be told how to behave,dont care what they do themselves, or alternativley refuse to take responsibility for their offsprings behaviour.... Later this year we are having a return visit from the German "In Laws" and to be honest I am already feeling ashamed of being English and living is such a dirty and litter strewn country.... I live in a quite rural area, but still we get bags of rubbish, old furniture, white goods etc dumped at the roadside on the moortops.
Makes you sick doesnt it.
Dont even get me started on the bin bags of rubbish I collected from the banks of the Ribble on my last trip, before starting fishing .not flood debris, but Pellet / Boilie /Hemp bags and containers, Lager cans, sandwich wrappings, cig packets,Pop bottles etc etc .....what makes it worse is that the culprits left the bin bags for me to fill up as well......(Shakes head in disgust )

Dave

If you want to see littering on a grand scale look no further than the weir field at collingham its like fishing in the middle of a landfill site, ive been twice this year and both times its been the same, in 35 yrs of fishing never seen anything like it.

The following happened less than an hour ago.

I walked across my local park to get to the shops on a nearby housing estate. Lovely sunny hot evening. Lots of teenagers about, girls and boys, many more than the usual few who gather of an evening, do a bit of cider and leave plastic bottles, cans and tiny, empty ziplok plastic bags on the grass to mark their passing.

But tonight was different; this was a grand gathering of youngsters from all over the area. Getting some walking exercise too, following groups of youngsters carrying armfuls of what looked to be a former Tory candidate's election poster and tearing it into pieces and dropping it for others to follow as they went: a paper-chase, no less - done, unlike in the old days (when it was very much a "Hounds and Hares" race cross-country publicschool thing) at mobile-to-the-ear, cool posing and sassy megachatter walking pace. Only in Britain.

Just back from a week in Germany,with my sons prospective in-laws, spent a few days in Feldberg,a beautiful area of big natural lakes and woodland in former east Germany ...... very popular holiday area, and stuffed with fishing areas.....BIG Pike , Perch ,Bream ,Roach,Zander, plus whatever else.. and best of all, not a bit of litter anywhere, never saw a bit despite walking the banks for miles, anglers there obviously take their fishing and condition of their waters seriously, not just the anglers, but the general public, as there was no litter to be seen anywhere, not even chewing gum on the footpaths.
Makes me ask where we have gone wrong in the UK?
I think generally it is a lack of respect for our surroundings and each other, brought about by a couple of generations of do gooders who hate to be told how to behave,dont care what they do themselves, or alternativley refuse to take responsibility for their offsprings behaviour.... Later this year we are having a return visit from the German "In Laws" and to be honest I am already feeling ashamed of being English and living is such a dirty and litter strewn country.... I live in a quite rural area, but still we get bags of rubbish, old furniture, white goods etc dumped at the roadside on the moortops.
Makes you sick doesnt it.
Dont even get me started on the bin bags of rubbish I collected from the banks of the Ribble on my last trip, before starting fishing .not flood debris, but Pellet / Boilie /Hemp bags and containers, Lager cans, sandwich wrappings, cig packets,Pop bottles etc etc .....what makes it worse is that the culprits left the bin bags for me to fill up as well......(Shakes head in disgust )

Dave

a good friend of mine moved to Germany and lives there now permanently, he said he wouldn't come back to the UK for any money even for a visit.

a good friend of mine moved to Germany and lives there now permanently, he said he wouldn't come back to the UK for any money even for a visit.

As the dear old Chairman was writing in the Members Only section a few minutes ago...

Today, 10:33

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Tough on tabloid-believing idiots, even tougher on tabloids and all that sail with them

Interesting survey published here - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...itish-people-should-be-executed-201108044155/

We do our bit here in The Hamsters, you know - hunting down those who make a fortune influencing the masses then run for a well-fenced rural bolthole with its dinner parties with similarly newly arrived folk, with their default-setting "Gone to the dogs ... nothing but appalling oiks and chavs and..." chit-chat.

I am just thankful that we have Kevin. So unpitying and relentless.

As ever,

B.B.

As the dear old Chairman was writing in the Members Only section a few minutes ago...

Today, 10:33

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Tough on tabloid-believing idiots, even tougher on tabloids and all that sail with them

Interesting survey published here - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...itish-people-should-be-executed-201108044155/

We do our bit here in The Hamsters, you know - hunting down those who make a fortune influencing the masses then run for a well-fenced rural bolthole with its dinner parties with similarly newly arrived folk, with their default-setting "Gone to the dogs ... nothing but appalling oiks and chavs and..." chit-chat.

I am just thankful that we have Kevin. So unpitying and relentless.

As ever,

B.B.
The biggest target for government-sponsored murder should be social workers, followed by bankers, teachers, tabloid journalists, murderers and anyone who has ever worked for the BBC.
Well maybe not all teachers (my son is one) and having occasionally worked freelance for the BBC, I'm not too sure about that one. Other than that.......

I regularly attend Wandle_Trust clean-ups and I never cease to be amazed by the amount of junk that a short stretch of river can hold!! :eek:

Shopping trolleys, tyres, bikes, mattresses, motor bikes, road cones, safes and all manner of junk is removed at the clean-ups. It seems that some people see an urban river as a way of disposing of rubbish! Some people have obviously carried the junk a long way to dispose of it in the river!

Love what the Wandle Trust is doing. I lived down in Tooting back in the eighties and the Wandle was a real eyesore in those days, however amazingly there were still fish in it right there in Sarf Landun'. Used to watch them from the supermarket bridge at Colliers Wood. Chub and rumours of Trout. Next time I'm forced down to the smoke I must have a cast in the Wandle. Any urban stretches around Wandsworth itself you recommend?

One very rude person in that outfit, at least to me. In the mid 2000s he invited me to their annual dinner, to which I very politely replied "No can do, I'm afraid", supplying a real and very good reason (unable, at that time, to leave home even for a few hours on account of my caring full-time for a very poorly, elderly mother). Within a week or so the same charmer, from whom I had had all manner of Internet flak prior to the sudden, frankly quite weird, dinner invitation, had reverted to type and was being rather more than just merely serially cheeky to me on the online bearpit that was the old Fly Fishing Forums. Such outfits are often more about party and rural politics than about water, I reckoned then. Still do.

Love what the Wandle Trust is doing. I lived down in Tooting back in the eighties and the Wandle was a real eyesore in those days, however amazingly there were still fish in it right there in Sarf Landun'. Used to watch them from the supermarket bridge at Colliers Wood. Chub and rumours of Trout. Next time I'm forced down to the smoke I must have a cast in the Wandle. Any urban stretches around Wandsworth itself you recommend?

To be honest the last time I fished the Wandle I was in short trousers!!!!

I just help out at the clean-ups as I live in Norf London nowadays having migrated across the Thames back in the late 70s!!!

I have always had a strong attachment to the Wandle as it was my local river for many years. I worked at New Merton Board Mills when I was a lad just out of school and the river was stinking and the water treatment plants that feed the Wandle were not very efficient and foam used to regularly blow across Merton High Street. New Merton Board Mills was on the site now occupied by Sainsburys. Just before I left NMBM there was an experiment to test the improved water treatment and several cages of fish were pegged in place to see if they could survive.

Anyway in answer to your question (having rambled on too long!!) the locals do recommend The Wandle at the Park next to Garfield Road - it's just off Haydons Road near Plough Lane. It is allegedly a bit "peggy" and you have to be in the right swim- but I was not able to get any further info.

Anyway in answer to your question (having rambled on too long!!) the locals do recommend The Wandle at the Park next to Garfield Road - it's just off Haydons Road near Plough Lane. It is allegedly a bit "peggy" and you have to be in the right swim- but I was not able to get any further info.
That will be a trip down memory lane, last time I was in Plough Lane was to see the mighty Wimbledon F.C. return with the FA cup...a glorious day. With a full team "moon" to the fans in a typical crazy gang celebration.

Indeed. More mooning required by real people at those who parachute into localities believing it their God-given right to gentrify and generally run things.

Wimbledon was pretty gentrified even back in my day. I don't think that Wimbledon had much of a fan base in Wimbledon itself, the local "community" seemed pretty ashamed at the goings on down at Plough Lane. However the rest of Merton and much of SW London was up for it. An awful lot of Chelsea fans gave there all in the match against the then mighty scousers. The celebrations in the posh part of Wimbledon the night after the victory where an event I shall always remember. The Trumpton riots. The pubs running out of beer, and the horrified looks on the stray Wimbledon Villager as their village was turned into Sodom.

Wish I still had my old flat in Tooting these days, as I could sell it and buy a riverside property down the Teme Valley for the prices they go for. Personally I would pay anything to avoid ever having to travel on the Northern Line again..or have to listen to southern idiots boasting about their house prices and how Maggie saved the country.

Personally I would pay anything to avoid ever having to travel on the Northern Line again..or have to listen to southern idiots boasting about their house prices and how Maggie saved the country.

They're still about, in the form of Ma Thatch's mid thirties to mid forties Grandchildren, all Big Society, fairtrade cocaine and boutique festivals.

Bomb, please.

Back