• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line twist

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
Looking for help and advice on line twist .

I am thinking of buying a new reel and was wondering if some reels are worse than others for line twist .

Would a reel with a bigger diameter spool help avoid the problem and also is it ok to use a cheaper backing line on a spool before putting on your main line .
It seems silly to put so much main line on your spool when you are never going to use half of it .

Back up with any old line Joe, as long as you got about 100m filled to the rim you should be fine. I have used insulation tape in the past, but the adhesive can wick onto the line.

I think a oversized bale arm roller helps to negate line twist, but all the good reels have this boast.

What reel are you thinking of?...but be warned any new reel used will result in a succession of blanks:)

I always put plenty of backing on my reels and I dont always use line. In the past I've used wool and string. I get it to the level I want so as I can get what ever amount of main line I want then I cover the backing with PTFE tape ( plumbers tape ) then when I'm re filling the spools I get close to the same amount of line on every time. I still put to much line on though. For the rivers I fish 30yards would be more than enough but as I say I put far more than that on.

Back up with any old line Joe, as long as you got about 100m filled to the rim you should be fine. I have used insulation tape in the past, but the adhesive can wick onto the line.

I think a oversized bale arm roller helps to negate line twist, but all the good reels have this boast.

What reel are you thinking of?...but be warned any new reel used will result in a succession of blanks:)

Hi Neil hows your man flue ?is it any better . Not yet decided on what reel , Just looking at the moment to see what is available . Have just bought a new landing net handle so waiting now to see how long it takes before I get to use it :(

I am of the opinion the line capacity on spools are far to large and part of the problem is the line bedding in when you reeling in a fish and the line beds in to the existing line on the spool .

Hi Neil hows your man flue ?is it any better . Not yet decided on what reel , Just looking at the moment to see what is available . Have just bought a new landing net handle so waiting now to see how long it takes before I get to use it :(

I am of the opinion the line capacity on spools are far to large and part of the problem is the line bedding in when you reeling in a fish and the line beds in to the existing line on the spool .

Hi Joe the man flu is still with me:mad: Just cant get rid, been over 3 weeks now, but will have to get out at the weekend, if I am spared a few more days:cool:
I agree those deep spools are a pain, I reckon the manufacturers reckon we troll for Marlin:) Match spools are far better for my pocket.

Bedding in, is that a problem with playing off the clutch? Perhaps we should all back wind?

Just remember the manufacturer's produce the line as well.

Joe, I find the only way to really avoid it is to ensure you put it on properly, I.e. without twist in the first place and then really limit the use of the bait runner. I use my reels for much more than just Barbel fishing on small rivers so always fill my spools with one continuous line, also eliminates knots to catch on when you cast! I use Berkely Big Game Clear which costs about £13 for 2175 yards, that will fill 8 average spools, I.e. it will last you 4 seasons, just over £1.50 to fill a reel, at that cost I hardly think is worth using backing!

Hello Joe,
Ian is right it is the way you load your spools.
Do not load fixed spools with your spool of line revolving on a spindle through the centre, hope that makes sense, this methods is fine for centre pins.
Get someone to help or put the line spool, gentley held by one edge, in a vice so that the flat side is facing you. Wind on to the reel so the line coils off the line spool. After a few turns check for line twist and if there is twist, turn the line spool so the line comes off in the other direction. Sorry but this is very difficult to explain, hope you understaned.
Also those little weights that look like arlesly bombs with a diagonal grove work well on line twist, usually just a couple of casts are enough.
ATB
Colin

My Centre pins ALL come with anti line twist technology!!

Hope this helps:)

As Colin kindly suggested the Gardener twist buster leads are fantastic three or four casts at the end of each session will usually ensure your line is spot on for the next session :)

I use the Gardner spin doctor if I get line twist , when I fill up I put spool in bucket of warm water for 5 mins and use butt section of rod always make sure label on spool is facing upwards

Back