• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line recommendation.

Silstar Match Team may be worth considering. Don't do much float fishing for Barbel, so others might have a better idea, but it's never let me down in lower breaking strains for other species. I think it comes in a 7lb.something BS and a 10lb.something BS at the higher end of the strength options.

Decent abrasion resistance for it's suppleness and diameter, in my experience.

Silstar Match Team may be worth considering. Don't do much float fishing for Barbel, so others might have a better idea, but it's never let me down in lower breaking strains for other species. I think it comes in a 7lb.something BS and a 10lb.something BS at the higher end of the strength options.

Spot on Alex!👍

Yes, I use this in 7.9Ib, great stuff and cheap. Another great line is Drennan float fish which is great on long trots, it is responds well to mending the line but only goes up to 5 or 6Ib I think so I only use it for Chub personally. I also use the silstar in higher BS for mono hooklinks, it’s a great line.

Yes the match team line has been a proven winner for me on the Trent. Very reliable. However I am.always on the lookout for something better and I may have found it, just end to get out and fish with it..
Have a look at the Maver horizon line... High strength and low diameter, time will tell....

I’m going to try the new Korum float line out this coming season as that appears to have some superb characteristics.
I’ve loaded a couple of spools and the first thing I noticed was just how little memory it has. Open the bail and it’s coming off the spool very nicely and not holding a coil.
I can’t say too much as I’ve not trotted with it but I have used the 0.20 on the local commy with a waggler and it’s very good really really buoyant.

Provided it doesn’t do something stupid like break prematurely, I think it could be a winner for barbel.
Shame they haven’t yet bought a lower diameter out for lighter work.

I’m going to try the new Korum float line out this coming season as that appears to have some superb characteristics.
I’ve loaded a couple of spools and the first thing I noticed was just how little memory it has. Open the bail and it’s coming off the spool very nicely and not holding a coil.
I can’t say too much as I’ve not trotted with it but I have used the 0.20 on the local commy with a waggler and it’s very good really really buoyant.

Provided it doesn’t do something stupid like break prematurely, I think it could be a winner for barbel.
Shame they haven’t yet bought a lower diameter out for lighter work.
I was quite impressed with their barbel line in 15ib, very similar qualities to pro gold which I used to like

I'm a Bayer and Drennan float fish user for my stick float fishing for smaller fish, with Drennan supplex for hooklengths. Supplex is a nice line and Drennan do it up to 10lbs.

Back