• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line for the float

Jim Mileman

Hoping to have a crack at landing a Trent barbel on the float this weekend. Picked up a Korum Glide 14ft rod and got a spare 4000 size reel but not sure what line to load it with, any suggestions on what would be up to the job but still be suitable for trotting a stick float.?

I've started using Berkley XL new version. 9lb is 0.22. Comes off the spool nicely too. No barbel on it yet though but we live in hope. Some of the chaps use braid.

I have loaded up with Matrix horizon waggler feeder mono this season. Its ridiculously thin and very strong. My rule of thumb is tying a granny knot in it and pulling for a break, it knotted so well and I couldn't tell the difference between a knot and straight line for breaking strain. I have been an advocate, in recent times for Silstar Match team line. Which has really served me well, but so far this has passed the tests with an A plus so far. 10lb is what I use in 0.22 and 8lb in 0.20. 300m for £9.

I have been using Edge Tackle Float Line in 8lb BS this season which has a remarkable resemblance to Gardner Hydroflo I have previously used and also Dave Harrell Float Line. I wonder if they are all the same stuff in differently branded packaging

Hoping to have a crack at landing a Trent barbel on the float this weekend. Picked up a Korum Glide 14ft rod and got a spare 4000 size reel but not sure what line to load it with, any suggestions on what would be up to the job but still be suitable for trotting a stick float.?
Hi Jim not sure how you got on but I always use braid for float fishing for barbel it floats and is thin for its strength when compared to mono and no stretch great for hitting bites on a long trot. Several hundred float caught barbel later I can say it works a treat. Don't be tempted to fish to light a float barbel are not tackle shy.

Back