• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

line for new centre pin

100m might be a little too much, there's always a chance of bedding in after a decent fish. I usually put 50m on mine. Can't comment on the Maxima, I've never used it.

Maxima is a sinking line, if you are trotting your need a floating line. Drennan Float fish line is often recommended.

Are you float fishing or ledgering, also what are you fishing for.If you are float fishing you want to use about half of a 100m spool of float fishing line on your reel,so you need to get the tape measure out and a calculator.You need to put the tape measure round the reel spool and find out how much line each turn of the reel is.Then work out how many turns of the reel equals 50m.Put your new line on and turn the reel handle the exact number of times (my reel was 76 turns,then you get two maximum fills from one spool and no wastage and bedding in).Please do not say you are ledgering with a Mills,if you are then you can put 100m of Maxima on and just cut back when needed.As Graham says Maxima is thought of as a sinking waggler or ledger line

line for centre pin

thanks lads for the replies especially Mark on working out how many turns i need for a the amount of line i need and i was going to use the Mills for ledgering on my split cane avon but you shamed me into using my trusted Mitchell 400 instead.

Sorry Tony, no shame and a bit of a joke,i had a reel that ended with bent spokes because i abused it a bit,but with 6lb line all will be good

Carpers have the right idea for measuring distances for clipping up and this can easily be adapted for measuring line for a centrepin. Put two short banksticks one metre apart and tie the line to one of them. With a pencil through the spool of line loop round the other stick and back to the first (that's two metres already). Continue looping until you have your fifty metres or whatever length you choose. You can actually do this sitting/kneeling between the two sticks.

Once you have the length you require, feed the line through the ring(s) of the butt section of a fishing rod and tie the end to your reel. Simply reel the line in whilst standing and allow the line to peel off the banksticks. Sorted.

John, it is if the line is already on the reel. This is for measuring line coming off the plastic spool that the line comes on as new. Yes you can walk up and down your garden for the length of a twelve foot rod, but the stooping down won't do your back any good. ;)

Depending on reel size and depth of spool - somewhere in the region of 150-200 turns of the reel will give you upwards of 50yds. More than enough for static bait barbel fishing. I wouldn't personally put much more than that on for trotting, otherwise you risk it bedding in after a decent days fishing, or landing a specimen.

Garry doesn't tend to set his line spokes too deep so you can use the reel diameter to quickly work out the circumference as a ruff guide. Reels like the Speedia etc. not so.

Re line for centre pin

Tony
Coming back to your original question concerning which line, I do a lot of float fishing on rivers and have tried various makes of line.The one I use on all my pins for trotting is Stroft GTM in it's various thickness/ breaking strain. I have never been let down by it and it floats well.
Give it a try
Mike

If it's for trotting Drennan float fish is very good. I use that on my pins and Daiwa Sensor on the fixed spool. Both float well too.

Both also let you move split shot about without too much damage.

I always put 100 yard on my pins and its fine. But I do fish the Trent and can trot 30/40 yards at times. Small river 50 yards is fine as suggested.

I use 5lb float fish and it's a good compromise on finesse and strength.

Back