• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line choice

Jameel Khan

Having nearly geared myself up on a decent float fishing setup , meaning still waiting on the delivery of the rod , was wondering as to what line i'm to use . I'm looking to target barbel in the summer months , but until then , with river levels permitting , i wanna get my head around a centerpin by targeting chub . As it stands i'm so unsure as to whether to use a floating or sinking line . Whether to fish it straight through or not , clearly something alot of anglers feel very strongly about . The stretch of river i'm looking to fish is velitively snag free but not totally so need to know the line can stand a little stick when needed . Many thanks .

As above, I also really like reflo power line on my pins.
I always use a hooklink, I'm tight and hate losing a float and shot as well as a hook !

Tried loads out on 4000 size reels and Abu closed face reels and have settled on Silstar match team and Preston reflo power
Both excellent Mainlines.

I use a hook length because its easier to tie on a new hook length than a whole new set up and a new float. Four years ago I started using Stroft GTM as a hook length its a slightly grey / clear line. I have used Preston powerline, Preston exceed and Silstar match team as hook lengths. I rate it above all these lines for hook lengths though have not used it for mainline. To be honest when float fishing with a centrepin it does not matter what type of mainline I use. My mainline takes a battering so is changed often and I only use 50 m because anymore often digs in on a pin, so get two fills from a spool. Drennan float fish or similar as long as its sprayed with a line floatant or silicone spray and the meter or so above the float has vaseline smeared up it. Stroft is not cheap but its an incredible line. One important thing which will help you to not get broken so often is to use styl leads on the Stroft. I tie hook lengths on the bank and make them a bit longer than I need. I put the styl leads on the bottom part of the hook length with a pincer and pull them up and down the bottom couple of inches until they just about move. I then pull them up to where I want them. When you have all your shot on then cut that area at the bottom off and then tie your hook on.

Round shot bitten onto the line weakens it slightly. If they are stuck in place and catch in a snag the line breaks easier. If the styl leads all move up the line to the knot they seem to not cause as many problems and I get broken less.

I use a hook length because its easier to tie on a new hook length than a whole new set up and a new float. Four years ago I started using Stroft GTM as a hook length its a slightly grey / clear line. I have used Preston powerline, Preston exceed and Silstar match team as hook lengths. I rate it above all these lines for hook lengths though have not used it for mainline. To be honest when float fishing with a centrepin it does not matter what type of mainline I use. My mainline takes a battering so is changed often and I only use 50 m because anymore often digs in on a pin, so get two fills from a spool. Drennan float fish or similar as long as its sprayed with a line floatant or silicone spray and the meter or so above the float has vaseline smeared up it. Stroft is not cheap but its an incredible line. One important thing which will help you to not get broken so often is to use styl leads on the Stroft. I tie hook lengths on the bank and make them a bit longer than I need. I put the styl leads on the bottom part of the hook length with a pincer and pull them up and down the bottom couple of inches until they just about move. I then pull them up to where I want them. When you have all your shot on then cut that area at the bottom off and then tie your hook on.
I see stroft do a good range of lines and far cheaper to buy it in 500m spools.

Not sure how good it is for mainline though Dave and 100m lasts me a lot of hooklengths. The stroft GTM I use is an off clear line, I know they do a number of different colours though but have not been tempted to look at anything else yet. I was thinking about posting a thread about it on the other species section I have been that impressed with the stuff. I use the 010 stroft whilst Roach fishing and hook loads of Barbel and am very rarely broken

Last edited:
I get my big roach on the 010 Graham , also had about 50 Barbel since November on the 010. Its an amazing line, I do wrap the spade ends 20 times though.

Back