• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line choice

As a braid user, I use amnesia in black 25lb bs leader, 6 foot long. It stands out that much imo, that the fish dont see it as a threat etc. Just something to think about.

GR60 for me, every day of the week. So strong and abrasion resistant. I bent a strong hook out on my last session pulling out of a snag!

DO NOT touch GR60X! It's nice and supple but incredibly weak and prone to damage. It cost me fish in the short time I used it. Back on good old GR60 now.
I was thinking about the X out of the two , glad you said thanks .

GR60 is ok, strong/abrasion resistant, but is too springy and wants to jump back off the spool. Sensor for me. Cheap/cheerful.

Thanks John, i too also use sensor, and never had a problem with it, now using the new hyper sensor, which IMHO, is even better. Ive got a few spools of GR60, but never tried it, was going to give it a go the next time i re-spooled, but now, i think i,ll stick with the sensor. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :) 👍

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :) 👍

Make you right Derek, i’ll Always make a mental note of respected anglers recommendations “just in case” but like you i’m happy to stick with what i’m using....

I use dyneema spectre braid, and I swear by it, I've had it on my shimano's for a least 6 yrs, I will be changing it though this year, 9 and a half quid off the bay, you cant grumble, I was a bit sceptical at first using braid, I've heard a few horror stories of braid filleting fish, fortunately I have never experienced that. I do put a few inches of silicone tubing up the hook length. To protect the fishes mouth.

I use dyneema spectre braid, and I swear by it, I've had it on my shimano's for a least 6 yrs, I will be changing it though this year, 9 and a half quid off the bay, you cant grumble, I was a bit sceptical at first using braid, I've heard a few horror stories of braid filleting fish, fortunately I have never experienced that. I do put a few inches of silicone tubing up the hook length. To protect the fishes mouth.
Totally agree with all that Chris, but one word of warning .... the name Dyneema Spectra Braid is a generic, that is, many (esp Chinese) companies make braid of the same name. So it always needs testing before use. Then again, if it says "35lbs b.s." but is actually 'only' 20lbs, then it's more than strong enough anyway. And god knows where they get their diameter figures from!

I loaded up with ESP Syncro in 12lb bs back in June
I’m glad someone posted this. I used to use ESP line a lot a good few years back and it was brilliant stuff. Came in the clear snap together cases in a lovely light green. Great line and very tough going.
ive never persuaded myself to try out the newer stuff as I’ve been quite content using the gardener lines for the last 5 or 6 years. I’m glad to hear ESP are still making quality lines.

Back