• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Line...again

Hi Matt
I've used it , not sure why( probably the flurocarbon fast sinking feature) and I think it was perfectly OK, but I have reverted to Daiwa Sensor which is utterly reliable and cheap as chips.
I think Sensor is popular with a lot of the barbel lads along with the Gardner GR60 line. But whatever you use if you're confident with it and it doesn't let you down that's all that matters.

Hi Matt
I use it in 12lb, never had a problem with green or clear version.I used it in 15lb on my heavier set up,but now use syncro xt for tha after checking actual specs on tackle box line test page.

Hi, has anybody used Ultima Power Carp mono? I don’t want to find out it’s rubbish the painful way!
Cheers
Got to ask Matt what are you using at the moment and why the desire to change? Just curious!

Thanks for that Jason. It was the Tackle Box stats that made me ask, the 12lb diameter:strength is good. I’ve heard good things about Gardner Pro, too.

Bill, if I could find some Pro Clear I wouldn’t be asking! But it appears that the Gold Label Tackle lines are no more?

I think I’m one of the few that have been let down by Sensor. I know lots of things can cause a failure but once you’ve gone off something you’ve gone off it!

It’s a real shame the Gold Label lines are no longer available. I rate Pro-Gold in 10lb very highly as a main line for my tenching, lovely and supple, casts well and very strong and abrasion resistant for the diameter. I’ve used Pro-Clear in the 16lb for the Trent and in 12 and 14lb for smaller rivers, it’s never let me down. In 8lb it was also great for chubbing.

I’ve got enough of both to last me to next season, but I think I may go back to Diana Sensor when I’ve run out, although I’m going to give braid a go for barbel when I get back on the rivers in Sept.

I never thought I'd change from Big Game but I had a few incidents of it failing when I didn't think it should have. I was using Sensor > 10lb but always big game in 12/15lb for snaggier swims/ hit & hold stuff
But as you say Matt, confidence is a massive factor and as I write this I have just realized that I have got out 2 rods for their first outing of the season after work and they are spooled up with Big Game😳
So do I abort mission or go into a session with a nagging doubt - oh heck

Back