• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Light weight chairs

Yeah they can be a nightmare when your hands are freezing at the end of the day trying to unhook the chair to put in the car.

One of my local shops had a Korum lightweight chair on display when I last went in (summer 2020!) and I was amazed at how light it was (2.3kg as stated above). I was very tempted but soon spotted the limited (and consequently practically useless) leg adjustment range.
I'm still using one of the earliest Fox models which I'm guessing is now fast approaching it's 40th birthday! The legs have the original spring loaded internal pins with locating holes at 1" intervals. The front legs are 10" long extending to 17" while the rear are 8" extending to 13".
I can safely say that 90% of the time I'm fishing on sloping banks - I need to extend the front legs to the maximum 17" and only extend one or other of the rear legs by an inch or so to prevent any rocking. Only on flat banks will I extend the rear legs any further.
The chair weighs 4kg (including a piece of closed-cell foam that I've inserted under the canvas seat and rear to improve comfort and reduce chills). My unhooking mat adds another 0.5kg to the weight but does provide further additional comfort - until it is needed!
I'd love to get a lighter chair but won't even consider anything without long front legs - I need the versatility.
It's more than frustrating that leg lengths are rarely quoted in the specifications of the chairs on sale.

One of my local shops had a Korum lightweight chair on display when I last went in (summer 2020!) and I was amazed at how light it was (2.3kg as stated above). I was very tempted but soon spotted the limited (and consequently practically useless) leg adjustment range.
I'm still using one of the earliest Fox models which I'm guessing is now fast approaching it's 40th birthday! The legs have the original spring loaded internal pins with locating holes at 1" intervals. The front legs are 10" long extending to 17" while the rear are 8" extending to 13".
I can safely say that 90% of the time I'm fishing on sloping banks - I need to extend the front legs to the maximum 17" and only extend one or other of the rear legs by an inch or so to prevent any rocking. Only on flat banks will I extend the rear legs any further.
The chair weighs 4kg (including a piece of closed-cell foam that I've inserted under the canvas seat and rear to improve comfort and reduce chills). My unhooking mat adds another 0.5kg to the weight but does provide further additional comfort - until it is needed!
I'd love to get a lighter chair but won't even consider anything without long front legs - I need the versatility.
It's more than frustrating that leg lengths are rarely quoted in the specifications of the chairs on sale.
Stick with the fox one mate. Nothing produced today is going to better it. The oldns are the bestns

Back