• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Light Weight Chair

The problem I have with fishing chairs is that as far as I can see they are all made primarily for level ground. Yes there are adjustable legs but they don't fit the bill for me. I've had lightweight ones like the "JJ Everlevel" and the "whosever-it-was's Adjusta Level) but they were too small (and kinda flimsy) for me.

If you get bored by "modification-speak" then ignore this post :), and to help this I've inserted thumbnails not full size images so they're not "in your face" :)

Some details : I am 6ft 2" (ish) and 14.1/2 stones ('ish). I bought my current chair (a JRC,) some 25 years ago and it's still going strong. I prefer front legs to be a tube and not single legs (which has the advantage of giving me spare legs), I don't want arms

IF it gave up the will to support me any longer :p I'd look for (and likely struggle to find) a few things
  • whether I could cut down the rear leg tubes
  • whether I could replace the front legs with a bent tube
  • that there were no arms
  • the rear legs could be collapsed completely without clogging everything up with muck and mud - this is a big consideration and many I have seen just don't allow this.

Ok, to be fair I've not actually visited any shops to try any out, one can't see all from images.

So first this is to cut down the rear leg tubes, in my case I reckoned I'd cut off about 5" (see below)

chair04.jpg

Next was to remove the front legs and make a tubular leg (see below)

chair05.jpg

Next was to cut down one pair of legs so I have two pairs (see below)

chair06.jpg

I now have a versatile chair, and I cannot see any on the market that give anything like this

Level ground using the longer rear legs (see below)

chair01.jpg

Sloping ground using the shorter rear legs (see below)

chair02.jpg

Steep banks by collapsing the rear legs (see below)

chair03.jpg

Weight doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. Also, I carry my chair (with additional hardwood strips which are kinder on hands) but the chair effectively carries my bait-bucket by way of a short length (bolted on) of conduit into which I cut a slot.

mod_seat1.jpg

I think (hope) my chair will outlast me !!

Spot on Paul, had a few chairs over the years but for me lightness is key. Have a Fox adjusta lightweight, its not light so it's unused. Bought some old chairs couple of years ago, both were rubbish, the first the material gave way, the second the rear legs twisted, so I removed these and it makes for a superb light river seat. Also use a Shakespeare stool with back rest, it folds into mat and is great for roving. Don't carry luggage either a huge bucket carries all and can double as a seat.

It would be great that everything was light in weight, but it ain't. I concentrate on "comfort carrying"

Carry three things.

1. Rod quiver on shoulder contains the obvious, including 5kg brolly - steadied with left hand

2. Shoulder bag contains everything incl food and drink.

3. Chair "contains" waterproof sheets and bait bucket - carried in right hand

When I was younger this lot was no problem. Now I'm 70, body of a 30 yr old legs and neck of a 90 .......:D its a tad more of a struggle but I can't do without any of it.

I still lugg around an old chub bungee sprung recliner,heavy at 8 kilo,basically half a bedchair.
There's newer lighter one's but probably not as comfortable.I can sweat absolute buckets getting to a swim when not using a barrow but once I'm there that chair is complete adjustable luxury.I've tried buckets with foam covered lids,brilliant when ultralight roving but I just fish one or two swims these days.
Don't think I'll buy a new chair to be honest.

Can't really reply to that other than to say that the JRC is as light as is possible presently and is proven long lasting product..
You could save yourself 5 kg./2 1/2lbs weight per trip

There's no way I could fish even for half an hour without a seat.

I forgot my chair one session last season, can't sit on the ground so made do with an upturned box I keep in my van. Fished from 5pm to midnight. Was in huge (lower back) pain for the next few days, not to mention the crushed crown jewels :oops: since I kept sliding due to the slope of the bank.

20181129_161203.jpg

Last edited:
The thing about the JRC Stealth x-lite (using one this season) is that, although the legs are telescopically adjustable it just not enough. It's versatility compares bad with my old korum, whereby the legs are adjusted by a screw and there's plenty of leg length. I also bought spare front legs from ebay that have another extension for the feet. Can't really beat it, though it's not as comfortable as the JRC (marginal).

Paul you seen this apparently only 2.25kg! I have a chair similar but never use it. Last trip I just took a boat seat cushion

The thing about the JRC Stealth x-lite (using one this season) is that, although the legs are telescopically adjustable it just not enough. It's versatility compares bad with my old korum, whereby the legs are adjusted by a screw and there's plenty of leg length. I also bought spare front legs from ebay that have another extension for the feet. Can't really beat it, though it's not as comfortable as the JRC (marginal).

Richard, It's actually my 15 year old original Korum that I'm replacing. It's still going strong and I've yet to find a bank that I can't us it on but at 7.5kg it's just too heavy for a long (sometimes up to 2 mile) walk across farmers fields to the river.

Hi Rich. Just wondering, when on sloping river banks do you, keep the rear legs in the folded position and only open the fwd legs?. I know with my old Korum I would sometimes take the rear legs completely out.

Terry, that looks like a Teme set up to me ? I only ever take a chair if Im planning on sitting behind a rod all day, not very often !

Hi Rich. Just wondering, when on sloping river banks do you, keep the rear legs in the folded position and only open the fwd legs?. I know with my old Korum I would sometimes take the rear legs completely out.
That's what I do on very steep banks ie. The Ivel in places. When new they come with a plastic cover that goes over the rear end of the seat base tubes. I've kept mine in place and it stops muck getting in. A dab of glue would fix in place securely.

Richard, It's actually my 15 year old original Korum that I'm replacing. It's still going strong and I've yet to find a bank that I can't us it on but at 7.5kg it's just too heavy for a long (sometimes up to 2 mile) walk across farmers fields to the river.

Vince - the old lightweight version (to which I refer) is the one with no arms and doesn't weight much more that the JRC. Sadly, however, I think they've been replace with the Aeronium, which has a similar leg-extension configuration to the JRC.

Hi Jon - yes, I have done that in the past. With the extra extending feet, however, I rarely need to.

Terry, that looks like a Teme set up to me ? I only ever take a chair if Im planning on sitting behind a rod all day, not very often !
Yes Cliff, had a couple of hours trundling meat down Eard. Actually it was roasting hot, I'd damaged my back (disc) washing my car the day before, but I really wanted to fish ... so I sorted out absolutely minimal gear and stood for virtually all the session (sitting ain't good for poorly backs :D ) I was walking like a sweaty Max Wall (those under 60 refer to Google :D), but I managed a nice 4lb+ chub. ATVB

Back