• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lidl garlic sausage

Stephen, thank you so much for that, brilliant. Especially as my youngest daughter works at the local Sainsbury's store. Just put my order in with her, and with staff discount, a little bit cheaper. I owe you a tin or two, 😁 .

My wife does a weekly home delivery shop with Sainsburys and saw the larger tins of Spam on offer, so she ordered me 2 tins. It was out of stock and they sent 5 small tins of Spam as a replacement. The price was £16, so she sent them back! 🙂
Neil, I'll let you know how my daughter gets on price wise, with the Sainsbury's own brand as mentioned in Stephens post/video above. Maybe able to help you out with a few tins.

Spam is on offer at tesco if you have a clubcard, £3 for a 340g tin. Think it's cheaper still at costco though - if you have one near by.

I use this all the time it is prolific for me. There is not yet enough data, but, for me, it appears better than spam.

Peel the skin off, cut into squares, in a ziplock bag. Normally on a hair, but freeline on the hook if you like as well.

If there are barbel in your swim, more than once I have had a take on the drop.

Hopefully not a stupid question.. do you leave the skin on?
Not stupid at all, Anthony above likes to peel it off, i myself wouldn't bother, i would put the baiting needle through the soft part, and out through the skin. My thinking is, the skin would help the boilie stop/meat grip from pulling through the meat, helping it stay on longer.

I use this all the time it is prolific for me. There is not yet enough data, but, for me, it appears better than spam.

Peel the skin off, cut into squares, in a ziplock bag. Normally on a hair, but freeline on the hook if you like as well.

If there are barbel in your swim, more than once I have had a take on the drop.
Thanks Anthony. Will give it a try.

Not stupid at all, Anthony above likes to peel it off, i myself wouldn't bother, i would put the baiting needle through the soft part, and out through the skin. My thinking is, the skin would help the boilie stop/meat grip from pulling through the meat, helping it stay on longer.
Thanks Derek. Probably go with that method as I’m fishing the Wye soon so need to ensure it stays on the hook.

Bought, tested & caught. Not the firmest meat (the garlic sausage) but is fine for the way I use it. Short to medium casts with a link ledger. Nice & smelly, I removed the skin\casing and it was fine with a big hook (size 6 grappler). This garlic saus is great value. As an ex butcher I can assure this is made with snouts & arse's 🤣 lots of gristle present. It's perfect for the fishing.
Also collected Sainsburys spam & bacon grill. Haven't used them yet but will next trip.

Have any of you tried making your Meat? I quite enjoy messing in the kitchen & I'm tempted.
Won't be cost effective but I still might have a go.

Bought, tested & caught. Not the firmest meat (the garlic sausage) but is fine for the way I use it. Short to medium casts with a link ledger. Nice & smelly, I removed the skin\casing and it was fine with a big hook (size 6 grappler). This garlic saus is great value. As an ex butcher I can assure this is made with snouts & arse's 🤣 lots of gristle present. It's perfect for the fishing.
Also collected Sainsburys spam & bacon grill. Haven't used them yet but will next trip.

Have any of you tried making your Meat? I quite enjoy messing in the kitchen & I'm tempted.
Won't be cost effective but I still might have a go.

A small tin of meat can on occasion only give me two hookbaits, aka the big meat method. I therefore wanted to try and produce my own large hook baits, by introducing garlic powder and other additives to the pork and ham. I tried a couple of 'make your own spam' recipes from google/youtube, but the problems I had was that the mix shrunk significantly during cooking and I couldnt get the texture right for what I wanted, in that it was too firm. To be fair I probably overcooked it slightly, but in the end I concluded it was just too much of a trial and error faff!

A small tin of meat can on occasion only give me two hookbaits, aka the big meat method. I therefore wanted to try and produce my own large hook baits, by introducing garlic powder and other additives to the pork and ham. I tried a couple of 'make your own spam' recipes from google/youtube, but the problems I had was that the mix shrunk significantly during cooking and I couldnt get the texture right for what I wanted, in that it was too firm. To be fair I probably overcooked it slightly, but in the end I concluded it was just too much of a trial and error faff!
I'm going to have a go just for the hell of it, if the texture is wrong the dogs will love it 🤣

Back