• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lidl fishing hook sharpener

David Maddison

Just got myself one of these today as they are very handy little tools to sharpen any hooks that have lost their point.
The tool it's self is a pen, with the sharpening end extending out of the pen. One side of the extendable rod is flat and the other is rounded with a groove in. (Powerfix Diamond tool sharpener)Price - £1.99

Dave

Super little bargain that David, thank you for the heads up! Some excellent stuff comes up there from time to time :)

I have one of these but I find it a bit too coarse. I got myself a Gardener Point Doctor which is very fine.

I have one of these but I find it a bit too coarse. I got myself a Gardener Point Doctor which is very fine.

It's a shame they don't do a finer one as well, but I had a look through and they all seem the same. I have another sharpening tool - Jag I think which I can use to finish off a point if I need to.
The pen is handy if your roving as you can clip it onto a pocket.

Dave

I always carry a diamond nail file, one side coarse and one side fine. Less than a fiver in most chemists. I even got 3 in a pack from the pound shop not long ago.

I always carry a diamond nail file, one side coarse and one side fine. Less than a fiver in most chemists. I even got 3 in a pack from the pound shop not long ago.

I wait until I get home to do my nails, can't be having all that bait dust sticking to the varnish.

Cheers, Dave :D

Even quality hooks get the point burred occasionally :)
Very true Trevor.
Spoke to a a chap sometime ago who has been barbel fishing for 50 plus years and he had always checked and sharpened (if blunt!) his hooks.
I have noticed how you can finish off hooks to get them "sticky sharp" and i believe this improves your chances of a hook-up!
I fish venues that have rocks, gravel and branches on the river bed.
So imo I believe that sharpening hooks rather than buying packets of hooks everytime I am in the tackle shop is better. ;)

Dave

Spot on Dave, check my hook every cast on the likes of the Trent. If I can't get the hook as sharp as I'd like then I change it.

I find modern hooks, Nash my favourites, come with an excellent factory finish which cannot be replicated on the river bank.
If anyone can show me a sharper hook straight out of a packet I am open to Ideas.
One hook lasts me ages I bet I don't go through more that a handful a year.
Odd one or two in a snag and that's it.

I tried the Korda Kaptor hooks when they first came out and the points have been sharpened taking off the ptfe coating. Very sharp hooks, but you can do this yourself rather than paying extra.
Ok you get a neat little box also to hold each hook :rolleyes:
Never tried Nash hooks Ken, but I have considered trying the Fang hooks which I believe are wide gape. They look like good barbel hooks.

Dave

Back