• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

leger over feeder ?

Jonathan Jones

When would you guys use a leger and pva bag! Over a traditional feeder approach? and whots the advantages and disadvantages with both?

I normally go for a feeder/groundbait/pellet match fishing approach and cast every 5-10 minutes! But more guys I see on the banks today are chucking a leger and sitting there for ages for a bite! Is this the way to go I'm thinking!

No easy answer Jonathan, horses for courses so depends on what works on the rivers you fish. So many variables, stock density, depth, water clarity to suggest but a few. I use contrasting methods which I know from experience works for a particular scenario on the day, the proof in the pudding for me was fishing a new river for the first time yesterday and collecting my first blank of the season! Need to experiment more.

If there is a good head of Barbel then a feeder, but the only Rivers I would do that would be the Wye, or the Middle Severn I guess, the latter, I never really fish. If we are fishing for just the odd Barbel I would think a straight lead, with a stringer or pva, or perhaps loose feeding a few free offerings. The re-casting of a feeder in these circumstances might be counter productive.
It's a very good question though, something I have been pondering of late too.

However I am an impatient wotsit, and and I am not very good at sitting watching and waiting....and I do love the feeder, I don't really have what it takes to stick by my guns, and probably pay the price.

No easy answer Jonathan, horses for courses so depends on what works on the rivers you fish. So many variables, stock density, depth, water clarity to suggest but a few. I use contrasting methods which I know from experience works for a particular scenario on the day, the proof in the pudding for me was fishing a new river for the first time yesterday and collecting my first blank of the season! Need to experiment more.
Blank mate! whots one of those :D

If there is a good head of Barbel then a feeder, but the only Rivers I would do that would be the Wye, or the Middle Severn I guess, the latter, I never really fish. If we are fishing for just the odd Barbel I would think a straight lead, with a stringer or pva, or perhaps loose feeding a few free offerings. The re-casting of a feeder in these circumstances might be counter productive.
It's a very good question though, something I have been pondering of late too.

However I am an impatient wotsit, and and I am not very good at sitting watching and waiting....and I do love the feeder, I don't really have what it takes to stick by my guns, and probably pay the price.
I fish the severn around bridgnorth and coalport telford and have noticed over the last few years that more anglers are going the carp fishing route with the leger and pva/ and evan spodding :confused:

my friend who I go fishing with always fishes with the leger" ( mainly because he"s a tight @@@@er :D and he always catches as much as I do on feeder"

yes he uses 2 rods! but I'm casting mine every 5-10 minutes and its costing me a lot more for a days fishing!

Back