• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Leeds liverpool canal for big perch

Lee White

As per title anyone recommend any stretch around the liverpool end for some big perçh ideally i would like to catch a 2.1/2 to 3lb this winter just going to do research now walk a few stretches whilst its early before the rivers open up

My experience of canal fishing for perch is that they soon move when put under pressure. I would start off fishing likely areas overhanging trees boats etc. You should soon get action if they are there.

Ive read that but also read there creatures of habit and do return back to the same haunts yes i am going to target the overhangs reeds bridges bottle necks ect walked a few streches lately problem is where to start so many that looks fishy or that looks tastey before i know it ive walk 2 miles down with 20 spots to try lol

Lee.
You will be surprised how many perch will sit in the V of where any front of barges or boats leave the bankside.

Often 3 or 4 in one spot.

Graham thanks for that little tip one strech imlooking at has 2 far bank moorings not far apart see whats getting me is to rove swims in a day or stick it oit all day then do the same again all day diffrent swim because of the evening witching hour could make a bad swim look good if i drop in it last hour

Lee,
If you need to explore that much water, can I suggest you try drop shot or micro jig fishing. You can set yourself up quite cheaply and carrying so little gear, can cover a lot of water in a couple of hours. Even if you prefer static fishing with a bait, this is a great way to locate holding areas.
There are loads of videos on YouTube to show the techniques, just search perch fishing.
Best of luck.
Mike

Thanks mike ive got a couple of drop shot rods never realy got on with them the walking i did was just to explore the stretches to look for likely looking swims as you know when you have no gear and nothing else to do well you just keep on walking and looking

Back