• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Laser Pens

If you take the battery out you can't see the lazer beam at all!

Sorry Steve, we did digress there a little. It's just that the laser pen thing had been done to death and was getting repetitive, so some of us took to a little banter to fill in the spaces :p

For those who are still interested in the laser pen debate, but have yet to grasp the issues involved....

The standard cheepo laser pens available in a multitude of outlets, from newsagents to department stores, are the type most commonly used by anglers. They use them to stop/scare off the various types of water fowl who would otherwise injure themselves by picking up and attempting to eat/swallow baited hooks.

This type of laser is just about the lowest power version available, the power source being tiny hearing aid type batteries. It would probably take a month of sundays of staring into the thing glued onto the end of your nose before any harm would be done. As Chris has stated, they are about as damaging as a decent torch.

The very word 'laser' seems very evocative, conjuring up all sorts of lurid images....I guess we all watch too much TV :D There obviously are very much more powerful lasers available, but these are NOT items the size of your thumb, powered by hearing aid batteries. Of course the HSE paste warnings on all these types of things, but they would, wouldn't they?....these are the guys who paste warnings on fires telling you hot things burn :rolleyes: And yes, people have been sent to hospital by police officers after experiencing a laser being pointed at their eyes....for the very same reasons, i.e, the police are obliged to do that, because of OTT regulations to cover their backsides. You would no doubt find that these people are very soon sent home after being examined, with no damage found. If someone actually DID experience pain after receiving a laser flash to the eyes, it would probably be the result of either an over active imagination, or a different class of laser altogether being used....perhaps the type used on certain displays at raves etc?

I have received flashes from the low powered red lasers commonly used by anglers on numerous occasions, either through carelessness, stupidity or other accidental exposure....and have suffered no pain or noticeable damage to my eyes. I do wear glasses, but have been doing so for a far longer period than the advent of these lasers...and with those glasses, have astonishingly good vision.

OK?

Edit to this post.

I perhaps should make it clear that the laser pointers I am referring to above, those originally called into question as the versions commonly used by anglers to deter water fowl, are invariably of 5mW output or below. However, there are various much more powerful handheld lasers available, imported from all over the world, which are very different beasts. There is still a need to remain sensible about the capabilities of these things....for instance, the most powerful of these are apparently still barely capable of scorching a piece of paper. It must be stressed though that these larger more powerful units very definitely are not toys, and so need to be treated with respect, as some of them are capable of damaging eyes, especially after prolonged exposure. It would seem that in recent years these far more dangerous varieties have become readily available on the internet to whoever has the cash to buy them. I assume these are the types being used by morons to dazzle pilots when planes are low flying and slow moving, as they come in to land. Now that IS a bit worrying!

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Are they the new 'Stealth' lasers Chris :D

Cheers, Dave.

Yes Dave, and if you take the batteries out of your buzzers and go up the pub then pass out drunk in the car park, you won't know that one of those bloody tufties has taken the bait at all, until you reel it in dead in the morning, or someone else does it for you. Now that really is 'stealth'. :D

Back