• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

landing net head

yes Terry, on my second one, the net is nice and deep an I like the fact it can folded away, i'd recommend but I think Im only using the medium and it has easily held fish to 14lb so far.

I once did a Google search for this net. There were a couple of negative comments where the arm had become detached from the spreader block on netting a fish, also some stitching quickly becoming undone.

So I bought the Advanta Discovery folding 30" net. It's convenient and has held decent barbel and multiple carp now to 42lb. Funny how the carp come when you pack the barbel net, but they fit just fine and get lost in the bag.......

Carp 42lb, folding net.jpg

I did NOT immediately think ..... " I am going to need a bigger net!" .... there was room to spare!

The frame and block on this net is stronger than I expected 👍

anyone use one of these ?

Yes had the 26 inch one for maybe 2 years and it just broke on me last week netting a fish!
the plastic spreader block split where the threaded insert is held in place. Don’t get me wrong they’re are not very expensive so maybe a couple of seasons of use is about right?
Having to use my gardner 30inch for now but am on the look out for a compact/foldable replacement

I had the medium one and it seemed a bit flimsy to me with a very wide aperture for the length. I read some reviews about it which said it often failed at the spreader point so decided to repurpose the net onto another frame, which is now my go to chub net.

I have several pan nets and have used the latest all metal Korum 30' net this season for lots of fish.

With a stiff landing net handle (T West is good) it works well and the size of the mesh helps with fast flows

Korum Full Metal Latex Spoon Net 30"​

I've got the Wychwood Specimen in the large size. I have read the bad reviews, but to be honest, I really rate it. Last week I had a 2lb chub in the jaws of a 12.5lb pike and they had plenty of room. The block does look flimsy, but you should be supporting the net when lifting, shouldn't you.

I use one of these sometimes, in conjunction with a QR adaptor. Being able to be detached from the pole, pop the net arm out, collapse and roll it down to enable to lift fish is a big plus point. Build quality isn't the finest, nor would i expect it to be for the price, but it serves a purpose and i use it for alot of my perch and zander fishing when i am roaming, as i can attach it to the top of my rucksack.

I've got the Wychwood Specimen in the large size. I have read the bad reviews, but to be honest, I really rate it. Last week I had a 2lb chub in the jaws of a 12.5lb pike and they had plenty of room. The block does look flimsy, but you should be supporting the net when lifting, shouldn't you.
Yes you should but there are occasions on high banks where we do need to rely a little on the strength of our nets to safely lift fish and this is where the good will survive and the bad will fail

Back