• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Landing net assistance required please

Steve, I think you must have one of the early models . As soon as this was realised as a problem they were made with a brass thread insert. Mike O gave me one to play around with and my neighbour, who's a retired engineer, drilled the hole out and inserted brass tube with the correct thread. this was then pinned in position. Good as new.

i too use the drennan i have two of them but the ones from the tackle box dartford which are very similar to the drennans are getting very good reviews and i think they are £15 cheaper ...... why do drennan insist on putting big blingy graphics on everything there rods although very good are bloody awful to look at

i too use the drennan i have two of them but the ones from the tackle box dartford which are very similar to the drennans are getting very good reviews and i think they are £15 cheaper ...... why do drennan insist on putting big blingy graphics on everything there rods although very good are bloody awful to look at
Mine has no graphics , covered it in camo tape

Further to Richard's excellent advice I find it is worthwhile taking a look from time to time and giving the collett a clean every so often, before you arrive at the river bank!

Hello Stephen, long time no see, regards your pole as already stated get an engineering firm to make an insert for it.
It won't cost the earth & won;t fail either.
cheers
Bri

Hello Stephen, long time no see, regards your pole as already stated get an engineering firm to make an insert for it.
cheers
Bri
I would be very against using a collect made from any kind of metal. The idea being the carbon is harder than the collet and there for the two in contact won’t wear out the inside of the blank.
Also the plastic has a certain amount of give and flex and if you over tighten it the worst that will happen is you’ll crack the plastic collet. If it was metal and you over tightened it you could force it to crack the blank.

Re The Drennan net handle go back some time on the Forum when I suffered the same problem of non locking.
One of our Forum (cannot remember who) advised removing the collett then putting a very small piece of silicone tubing that fits tight onto the small metal spigot.
Then fit the collett back on.
It has worked wonders on three of my Drennan handles. The silicone tubing will need replacing maybe once a season but it is very effective and costs
peanuts as you may already have the correct size tubing in your tackle.
Mike

Steve, I think you must have one of the early models . As soon as this was realised as a problem they were made with a brass thread insert. Mike O gave me one to play around with and my neighbour, who's a retired engineer, drilled the hole out and inserted brass tube with the correct thread. this was then pinned in position. Good as new.

Hi Ed,

How are you doing? You don't still have the same neighbour do you?

See you soon I hope, Steve

cheers
Bri
Hey Brian,

How are you doing? Still chasing snappers? I got back into that for a short while a few winters back on some of the big pits around Reading; soon retreated back to the rivers though as I couldn't believe the number of pike anglers around - I couldn't get anything going by pre-baiting, etc as if you moved out of a swim, chances are someone would be in it when you returned. Frustrating.

I've got a ticket for round your way that I need to use so perhaps have a social when we're allowed to travel?

Keep well, Steve

Hi steve,
Sounds like a plan, i am really enjoying the Barbel this year, still piking & tenching too ,infact just fishing in general
I will drop you a pm

Hi Steve,
Yes , still the same neighbour. Bring the pole when you're next down and i'll sort something out. Probably be the start of the new season the way things are at the moment. Ed

Thanks Ed, that's really appreciated.

Keep well mate and hopefully we can laugh about all that's going on in the world when we next meet up....

Best wishes, Steve

Back