• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lake Windermere

Gavin Hoe-Richardson

Once the river season closes planning on a few days close to Windermere. Sure I can sneak a lure rod and maybe a fly rod in the car. Internet a bit contradictory, some say that the whole of the lake is free fishing, some talk about day tickets. Any advice on target species? At the moment I'm minded to just throw plugs or spinners around and see what happens if out of season for game fishing.

Hi Gavin,

I've fished the southern end of Windermere quite a few times usually between August and October, although not for over seven years. I used to hire a rowing boat from Fell Foot (National Trust) and mostly turn left down towards the shallower water around the mouth of the Leven. Used to get a few small pike (nothing over 8lb) on Lures. Large Kusomo Professors seemed to work best.

You probably be better turning right this time of year into the deeper water if your planning on hiring a boat. By all accounts there are a lot of pike of Windermere (and some monster Ferox if your really lucky!!!), but locating them is the biggest problem, large jerk baits work well I believe.

It's a stunning venue, not many finer places to blank. Nobody ever mentioned anything about day tickets etc.

Nearby Esthwaite Water might be a better bet: (Lake District Trout Fishing | Pike Fishing | Coarse Fishing | Roach Fishing | North West | Esthwaite Water)

Cheers,

Joe

ps - I was going to add that if you do venture out in a boat then make sure you know what your doing, but then I remembered what you do for a living!:D

Thanks for the pointers Joe, much appreciated.

Yes, have been out once or twice on boats! Also been out tuna fishing in somewhat warmer climes these last few weeks! Back in the UK tomorrow to see out the river season.

Hi Gavin
I went piking at Esthwaite a couple of Octobers ago and never had a sniff on deadbait. These big lakes are quite daunting when you turn up and you could spend a lifetime trying to understand them. I stayed in Hawkshead and the b and b had free membership of Windermere, Ambleside and District Angling Association thrown in. I went trout fishing at Ghyll Head Trout Fishery and had a great time with their hard fighting rainbows. So something else for you to consider. see here
Welcome

Thanks Geoff, looks like I'm on the right lines with tackle then, it'll give me a few options.

Spent a few hours lure fishing from Wray Castle and south from there. Didn't get a sniff but as Joe said, "Not many finer places to blank." Deer roaming within 50 yards of where I was and stunning scenery, still a bit of snow on the peaks.

Windermere back down to normal level after the floods and pretty clear but a lot of flood damage in evidence.

Spoke to a couple of blokes deadbaiting who'd not had a run in two days.

Spent a few days peering into various rivers but have yet to see a trout, hope that they haven't all been washed out to sea.

Walking round buttermere last October - trout topping all over the place. Not big, but much sport to be had to be had there. Must be good pike there, what with all the bait fish.

Back