• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lacking inspiration...

Stuart Wright

Afternoon all,

To some extent, I usually experience a certain amount of indecision during the close season about where to fish and what to fish for. This year I was all ready for an early season tench campaign following the warm March we had, but then April happened!!

Now I'm faced with some time off next week and honestly can't decide what to target with my fishing.

What are you all up to at the moment? I'm hoping a few stories might provide some inspiration.

Cheers,

Stu

Stuart,

The tench are feeding on the water park on the shallower pits, just not as well as you would expect compared to recent years and the feeding spells seem to be very short and mainly in the evening. The perch are voracious at the moment after spawning and are dragging maggot bolt rigs intended for tench, resulting in the odd 2 and 3lbers for friends, so you could try the perch.

One of the local muddy pits sees the tench feeding right through the winter and the recent weather hasnt put them off.

Some very big carp also coming off the water park.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your thoughts - they water park sounds like it might be a good option.

Haven't fished over there for a few years now, which was when I had the ISIS book (and SCAC before that). Which waters are available on day ticket these days? I know that there have been some changes with watermark taking over a few waters.

Cheers,

Stu

Stuart,

I would check out the south cerney ac and ashton keynes ac websites for their day ticket venues. Staits lake (scac) is on day ticket and is stuffed full of tincas; we were catching them about a month ago, but the blinking gas gun (for the cormorants) makes a rackett and is a bit off putting. Not just small tincas in there either. Neighbridge (akac) may be on day ticket, but its deep and slower to get going.

Paul

Paul, I have access to SCAC via exchange permit, I notice that Staits is day only fishing, do any of there lakes that offer 24hr fishing hold good numbers of Tench?

Stuart if its any consolation I'm off this week and my planned venue is flooded due to river its connected to , So today went to local lake and despite fishing it last week after work and having tench roll on my bait only managed a few carp to 12lb so today ended up trying something a different tactic and managed just one carp of around 6lb , so now am trying to decide whether to go to flooded lake and seeing if its fishable ( bream ) or return to same place as today and do overnighter on specimen lake at £20 , all winter wanting a flood to help river and they arrive now !!!!!!!!

My Species Race kicked off today so I've been out tiddler bashing with a 5m Whip.

Great fun and managed Roach, Rudd, Carp, Gudgeon and Perch in a few hours on a local pond.

Nothing big but despite the inclement weather very enjoyable.

Mark,

You can only get scac day tickets for staits and gilmans, not 24hr.

You can get a scac weeks ticket for £40. If you get an exchange ticket, it might be worth contacting scac to see if they will allow 24hrs usage. Or check over the rules etc on their website. Although i used to be a bailliff for them, I havent been a member of scac for around 15 years.

Same with AKAC, only Neighbridge and Large Lake are available on day ticket.

If you get a winter ticket for AKAC it will still run to 16th June and you will have full access to all their lakes.

Paul

Thanks Paul, looks like its day's only on the exchange ticket so will having a go on Staits when this weather passes. Maggot feeder do ok on there? Or would you fish boilie and bags.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks for that Info Paul. Where do we get the day ticket from Staits?

Mark. If you make it on a day I can, I'll join you for that tinca session.

Graham

That would be good Graham, jet me get the exchange ticket and I'll be in touch to sort out a day.

Mark

Stuart, if your unsure what to target, just get out there and make your mind up when you arrive. Just having the time to get on the bank should be inspiration enough. Grab it while you can. If you don,t go, you,ll only regret it, thinking of what might have been. Good luck. :)

Mark all,

Day tickets on the bank for Staits, just turn up in the carp park, find a peg and start fishing. I'd use a float for the inside margin and feeder/tip for far margin. Not a large pit and not the prettiest, but a lot of the big tench from wick, get put into staits by the carp anglers and i know for a fact that doubles have gone in there. Watch out for that gas gun, its flipping (or add other expletives) loud. ;)

Paul

Stuart, if your unsure what to target, just get out there and make your mind up when you arrive. Just having the time to get on the bank should be inspiration enough. Grab it while you can. If you don,t go, you,ll only regret it, thinking of what might have been. Good luck. :)

Oh don't fear Derek, I will definitely be fishing!! I just haven't been able to make my mind up what to target :) Thanks for the encouragement though, couldn't agree more with the sentiment

Back