• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

kudos

I suffer pretty much the same fate with the long walks, serious back operation to fuse my lower back together results in the inability to walk too far and carry loads of gear.
Had to cut my gear down to a bare minimum, that does help, but it does mean I cannot fish long sessions anymore as cannot carry the gear to do so !
No longer own a bivvy, still have a bedchair that the grandkids get more use out of for sunbathing in the garden !!
But having said all that, I think more about my fishing and how to monopolise the time I have. I fish for what I can catch from any given venue, if big fish come along it is a bonus. Getting on in years and being less able does not have to restrict fishing but it will restrict your goals in fishing.
I am just content and happy to have me rod in me hand !!!!

I know I should feel like Howard and Lee and the rest that have a certain inner contentment that they do it for them selves etc, and believe me that's a fine sentiment to have...

But I am driven by the Green Eyed Monster and if one day in the last season that demonstrates that was January last, when Joe Fletcher, (he sometimes puts up with me) sneaked out a session on the Lower Severn and fluked:rolleyes: a handful of good winter barbel, it was bad enough me not fishing that day, it was mild and the Severn was brim full,so I decided I had to get up early the next day and put the record straight if I could.

And in some way I did, I managed two good fish, but that night before I could hardly sleep the adrenalin was pumping, I admit it I am a bad bad person :(

Neil that day in January ? Yes I would say I was fortunate to be on the river in the right conditions in the right swim at the right time and I had 4 good fish and I got a lot of satisfaction from it . Knowing that I had a plan and I knew the swim I wanted to fish and it produced the goods .
Some times things dont go according to plan . But when it does for me its great . It would not of mattered what size those fish were .
The fact that one was a good double was a bonus and for that I am gratefull.
For me sitting there waiting for the rod tip to fly around and not knowing what the next fish will be . It all adds to the enjoyment of being sat on the river bank .
We all have our own reasons for being there on a river bank .
All I can say is . Roll on June 16th

Dave Powell wrote:

A similar thought crossed my mind the other week when trying to get out of six-feet-deep water on the Nidd! Having tumbled headlong into the river, with all my gear either around my kneck or in my hands, it occurred to me that in eight years time I would be a sexagenarian and the precipitous banks of this wonderful river may become an obstacle too far! As I see it, I'll keep doing it until it becomes impractical. As far as the distant swims go, Dave, I'm already on them for similar reasons.;)

Scary Anthony. Tempting fate, Ive only done the one headlong dive in 48 years of fishing.

Going back to the core subject of the thread I now measure a days fishing purely in terms of enjoyment. I had a very enlightening session on the tidal Trent a couple of winters back where the barbel were really on it. However, every fish meant leaving the shelter, getting a soaking - I hate rain running down my glasses - clearing really sticky weed from the line before casting out again to repeat the 'experience'. I ended up packing in early because I simply wasn't enjoying it. It totally changed the way I view a day's fishing.

Dave

As long as you dont fook up somewhere special up I cant see the problem . Lets be honest there aren't many secrets in barbel fishing anymore are there? If there weren't folk advertising the goods what would happen to the tackle shops as everyone goes in for bait , rods , reels etc that a sponsored angler has caught on . Or are we all bsck to natural baits etc

Back