• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum two rod river Tripod.

Andy Shaw

Hi all, have been looking at getting a tripod as some of the banks I am fishing are hard or even concrete, also fishing a tidal River and would make it easier to follow the tides in and out.
Have been looking at some of the sea/beach rests but these seem very bulky and large.
Have any of you used the Korum one, Is it sturdy and strong enough to make me want to fork out almost a bullseye on it.

Many Thanks,

Andy.

An ok design with quite a bit of flex in it. If the screws for adjusting are over tightened they will snap. I would say its a good a option for occasional trips to a bigger river but not quite up to a full on assault on a big tidal river.

Thanks Clive, just doing a bit of a search on it and found that a tackle shop close to me has one in stock so will pop along and have a look.
Are the adjustable screws an actual screw or a clip? (if that makes sense?)

If I bought another Korum one (I have had and broke the screws on 2) then I would replace them if you can find a similar solid metal screw. The problem is its a screw with a plastic top/handle that is easy to break.

Hi andy go to revews look at Accessories Fox Horizon Pod and Modifications by Matt Brown page 2
That is just what im looking for, will have to have another good google search now.

Will have a look tomorrow at the Korum one and have a good mess about with it,
and look at these screw fittings.

Thanks for all the replys so far, I now have some searching to do.;)

Andy.

If I bought another Korum one (I have had and broke the screws on 2) then I would replace them if you can find a similar solid metal screw. The problem is its a screw with a plastic top/handle that is easy to break.

I had the same issue. I got a friend to make up a couple of knurled alloy discs. A chamfered hole in the middle and the original screw thread (minus the plastic bit) knocked in with an interference fit. It worked a treat. Still haven't sorted the catapult effect of the springy extending arm.

tripod

andy look fox horizon pod
u can pick a secondhand pod up for £40-£50 go to ebay
conversion fitting Item number: 160672812078 for £8.99
thats what i use

Iv not had a problem with the korum but wouldn't like to use it unless I can push it into the ground I.e concrete is a no no IMO as its far to light but anything else will be fine once it's poked into ground it's a real solid bit of kit and fully adjustable for the suited conditions.
Thanks

andy look fox horizon pod
u can pick a secondhand pod up for £40-£50 go to ebay
conversion fitting Item number: 160672812078 for £8.99
thats what i use

Thanks Steve, will have a look this evening.
Seems the best one i've seen so far, will stop and have a look at the korum one but need something solid and stable as will be doing late evenings and nights so don't want to drift off on the chair and lose the lot on a take, it's mainly concrete where I'm looking to fish so cannot push legs into the ground, don't like the sound of this flimsy arm on the korum one but will have a look.
Was thinking about the sea ones as I could hang a bucket of water or something from he center to hold it steady, may be able to fasion something on one of these pods?

Thank you for all the replys.

Andy.

(Steve, regarding the PM. Won't let me reply on my phone for some reason, do you still need number?)

don't like the sound of this flimsy arm on the korum one but will have a look.

I think you've got the wrong impression if you are using the word flimsy. Definitely not the word I'd use. I very much doubt that you'd break the extending part, it's just that whatever it's made from allows some flex and springiness. Extend it to the maximum and that can result in a rod being flipped off the rest if you have a good sharp pull of a bite. Not a big issue if you use the supplied rod rest heads, they grip rods quite well. A bit of a problem if you are using bite alarms that don't grip at all. Snag bars help a little, just don't admit to using them.;):D

I think you've got the wrong impression if you are using the word flimsy. Definitely not the word I'd use. I very much doubt that you'd break the extending part, it's just that whatever it's made from allows some flex and springiness. Extend it to the maximum and that can result in a rod being flipped off the rest if you have a good sharp pull of a bite. Not a big issue if you use the supplied rod rest heads, they grip rods quite well. A bit of a problem if you are using bite alarms that don't grip at all. Snag bars help a little, just don't admit to using them.;):D

Gotta say there is a bit of give in the arm but as you said by no means flimsy Iv not had a problem with the screw threads either and once pushed into the ground it's the sturdiest pod Iv come across, like I said before I used it in fake force winds and with 15ft rods at first I was stood over it as I was worried about it going over but I soon realised it wasn't going anywere! Just keep a look out for the pins on the adjustable locks as they can decide to pop out of one side. And I agree with snag ears doing there bit.
Regards

Perfect Solution!

Hi All,
as someone who regularly fishes the Trent, I struggle with all this talk of heavy/expensive/not strong enough/unstable (delete as appropriate) pods when surely the perfect solution is the Gardener Scud Block.

I think mine cost around £12 - if you already have various storm poles, banksticks and buzz bars (as most of us probably do!) then this simple piece of kit gives all the flexibility you need

Cheers

Steve

I am another who can recommend getting a fox horizon pod, i haven't got the brass conversion for the butt end, however the best bet is cutting all 4 brass screws down that go into banksticks, ok with the fox sticks, but way too long for others.

I have added the old keepnet adjusters to the front sticks, this allows me the get the exact angle i require.

If you are only using two rods, still get the 3 rod one, and maybe put an old butt rest in the back middle bit and hang a bucket on it, fill with water, job done, will take some moving.

The horizon is more solid than the "Barbel pods", as i did find them too flexible and wasn't really impressed.

Last edited:
I've also had a look at the Scud block, when it came out, and for me the angle of the front legs is too narrow giving it a tendancy to fall over sideways, if anything, it was the lack of flexibility that put me off - nice idea though. I had a Horizon for for a few years, probably the best i've used once the conversion was complete with 36" storm poles in place of the front legs. The Korum 2 rod looks and feels great, i have a few friends who use one without problems, but it is so light i would be tempted to pin it down with either a few rocks over the rear spike or a bag of mud/pebbles/bucket of water hanging off it's rear end if you can't stick it in the ground! I've no need for any such device anymore as in recent seasons i've converted to the 'one rod - hold it' school of angling and am thoroughly enjoying myself for it despite fishing the same big rivers where 2 rods are the norm and bivvies and bite alarms are often seen. It doesn't have to be that way, but each to their own.

The Korum 2 rod looks and feels great, i have a few friends who use one without problems, but it is so light i would be tempted to pin it down with either a few rocks over the rear spike or a bag of mud/pebbles/bucket of water hanging off it's rear end if you can't stick it in the ground!

I still use mine if I'm travelling light due to a very long walk. I found that anchoring the Korum by the rear spike using something like the Fox rotational arm stopped any chance of things going awry.

Back