• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum rods

Adam Wylie

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi All,
How can korum make rods so cheaply with any sort of quality??? I realise a rod is just a rod ! But if that's the case ,why do some of us buy expensive rods (£300 + )

Korum are part of Preston along with sonubaits and avid, I believe zebco still own Preston so it makes them a seriously big player in the tackle business... hence Korum can sell tackle at good prices.

Hi All,
How can korum make rods so cheaply with any sort of quality??? I realise a rod is just a rod ! But if that's the case ,why do some of us buy expensive rods (£300 + )
Simple really, Korum etc made en mass Far East, low manufacturing costs, as opposed small quantity bespoke UK based artisan's.

I've had a pair of the Korum rods that cost me £50 each, I've now got some considerably more expensive rods. Do, or have the more expensive rods done anything the Korum rods could not do? No, absolutely not. Do I enjoy using my expensive rods more than I did the Korum ones? Yes. Can you tell a difference in quality? Yes absolutely. That's about all I can say on the matter except that Korum are onto an absolute winner with their rods. Hence why they are sold out most places :)

For me the older off the shelf rods such as Drennan Powers, Tench, Distant Bream, and many more are built to an exceptional high standard, as were Fox too, Duo's etc. I have a couple of hand made rods, and you can tell the quality, but they come at a price, but it's nice to have something a bit different. I suppose the pinnacle in owning a hand made rod for me would be an original MKIV Avon, I actually do have one, but it was a kit made one back in the 60's, the beauty of hand built cane for me exceeds anything else, and really is a thing of beauty. Even by some weird folk that have never fished could appreciate. ;)

I think I have four - possibly five - Korum rods and they suit my needs admirably. I would not appreciate a high quality rod and therefore cannot justify the expense. Moreover, the fishing around me is utterly diabolical this season with few fish being caught and hordes of noisy people everywhere. A top of the range rod would not improve the experience.

Preston and Korum change their rods and reels regularly, possibly because they start using a new manufacturer. I had some twin tip plus rods, hadn't had them long and decided if I bought 2 new butt sections I would have 4 rods. Tried Preston and they told me no parts available although they were still selling them. They stopped selling them about 18 months ago, that's when AD were selling them off cheap. Some Preston reels are re branded Ryobi reels, the Centris is a Ryobi Zauber CS.

I can’t understand why anybody would pay 300 pound for a rod ,a fifty pound korum for my style of fishing which is mostly at night and roving is ideal,they get knocked about badly I’ve stood on 1 in the middle of the night they’ve got more scratches on them ,than my dogs arse but I love em and if I have to replace one they are nice and cheap 👍

I guess you buy what you can afford at the time. I have a rod that I don't anticipate replacing during my lifetime (or beyond). I know that's a big statement, however I've never broken a rod (well, perhaps when I was a teenager) and I don't bash it about (well, perhaps when was a teenager). So, for me, it was worth spending a little more on a rod, albeit I bought second-hand.

I can’t understand why anybody would pay 300 pound for a rod ,a fifty pound korum for my style of fishing which is mostly at night and roving is ideal,they get knocked about badly I’ve stood on 1 in the middle of the night they’ve got more scratches on them ,than my dogs arse but I love em and if I have to replace one they are nice and cheap 👍
I can very easily spend that on a rod and have done (probably more times than I should of done).
im under no illusion, they don’t catch any more fish Than something 1/6 of the price but what they do Is make that experience of playing a big fish an extremely pleasurable one. That unhindered action through an exceptionally slim light blank right through to the velvet feeling AA grade cork is something I like to pay a little more for and it’s something you can’t obtain for £50. Don’t get me wrong I like £50 rods and there is some cracking sticks out there for that money. You don’t need a limo to drive to the shop I absolutely get that but sometimes it’s a nice change and makes the experience that bit nicer.
btw 300 quid isn’t an expensive rod. The next step up from the limo is the helicopter or should I say hexograph. One of those bad boys brand new is gonna start you off at 1200 notes. It’s on my bucket list to try one out one day but I couldn’t afford to own one.

I have a three piece Korum 1.75lb quiver rod that anyone can have for the cost of postage. It used to be a two piece, but on the seventh session................

(Before anyone goes down the customer service route please let me explain that customer service is unknown in France. The chances of a retailer accepting a rod, or any other item for that matter, to be returned due to a fault as less than zero)

I can very easily spend that on a rod and have done (probably more times than I should of done).
im under no illusion, they don’t catch any more fish Than something 1/6 of the price but what they do Is make that experience of playing a big fish an extremely pleasurable one. That unhindered action through an exceptionally slim light blank right through to the velvet feeling AA grade cork is something I like to pay a little more for and it’s something you can’t obtain for £50. Don’t get me wrong I like £50 rods and there is some cracking sticks out there for that money. You don’t need a limo to drive to the shop I absolutely get that but sometimes it’s a nice change and makes the experience that bit nicer.
btw 300 quid isn’t an expensive rod. The next step up from the limo is the helicopter or should I say hexograph. One of those bad boys brand new is gonna start you off at 1200 notes. It’s on my bucket list to try one out one day but I couldn’t afford to own one.
well rich they say you should never meet your heroes.... i hankered for a hexagraph and was keeping an eye on the second hand market... i then borrowed mike bachini,s for an hour on a catchers fish in and it definitely wasn’t for me... the craftsmanship was amazing and i imagine they are a joy to play a fish on ( i didn’t get that pleasure) i just find it a bit heavy
as for the korums i bought a pair for a trip on the tidal they are what they are they are tremendous value and done the job but nowhere near the feel or quality of my custom made free spirits and i moved them on after the trip
obviously not everyone can afford to have rods built im very fortunate that occasionally i can but if that wasn’t the case the korums would be my go to rods

well rich they say you should never meet your heroes.... i hankered for a hexagraph and was keeping an eye on the second hand market... i then borrowed mike bachini,s for an hour on a catchers fish in and it definitely wasn’t for me... the craftsmanship was amazing and i imagine they are a joy to play a fish on ( i didn’t get that pleasure) i just find it a bit heavy
as for the korums i bought a pair for a trip on the tidal they are what they are they are tremendous value and done the job but nowhere near the feel or quality of my custom made free spirits and i moved them on after the trip
obviously not everyone can afford to have rods built im very fortunate that occasionally i can but if that wasn’t the case the korums would be my go to rods
Shoot. That’s me 2400 quid out of pocket then😞.
if you don’t like em I’m bound to love em. Best get a pair ordered up. No need to waggle🤣🤣

I've got a few custom build rods, including a some that weren't built for me thanks to Ebay. Including some real bargains such as a mint Harrison GTI 11' 1.75 for £95 (not sure if had been used), a matched pair of Chimera 3's for £230 built by Ian Tucker and a brand new Harrison Avon Su built by Vic Gibson for the princely sum of £60.

There are some bargains out there if you keep your eyes open. You dont need pay top dollar to get a top class rod.

I've got a few custom build rods, including a some that weren't built for me thanks to Ebay. Including some real bargains such as a mint Harrison GTI 11' 1.75 for £95 (not sure if had been used), a matched pair of Chimera 3's for £230 built by Ian Tucker and a brand new Harrison Avon Su built by Vic Gibson for the princely sum of £60.

There are some bargains out there if you keep your eyes open. You dont need pay top dollar to get a top class rod.

if all else fails joe at least you got 4 spare broom handles 😉😉😂

Terry - I use a Hexagraph, the 1.25lb tc avon and I can assure you it's not heavy. "Light as a feather" would be my description, and absolutely brilliant to use. Granted, they're not everyone's cup of tea. Which model was Mike using?

Edit: The thread's meandered away from Korum rods somewhat, so apologies to Adam Wylie.

Back