• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Korum bolt and run

Have been using this set up for a few seasons, but have reverted back to using two sleeves one on the hook length and one on the mainline, with the lead or feeder pushed over the sleeve on the mainline. It is so simple with the feeder or weight secure on the cast, it quickly come detached with a bite. It is a lot less bulky and less visible in low clear conditions.

Have been using this set up for a few seasons, but have reverted back to using two sleeves one on the hook length and one on the mainline, with the lead or feeder pushed over the sleeve on the mainline. It is so simple with the feeder or weight secure on the cast, it quickly come detached with a bite. It is a lot less bulky and less visible in low clear conditions.
Back to back rubber sleeves over a swivel. Yeah it’s a lovely simple way of doing things. I tried it and had mixed success as I found it too easily releases the lead up the line on the cast and pretty much ends up always free running. Not really a problem as I’m fine with running rigs anyway.
I probably wasn’t using the best shape/size sleeves for the lead swivel. I was always a bit worried of pushing it on too much. I like the Korum ones just because they take out any guess work. You can’t push things too far or not far enough. Someone has thought very cleverly about it and come up with a game changer imo. They know how to bloody charge for it too 🤣

They are in the new catalogue so just guessing a supply problem at moment

James, no need for any of this, get some dissolving rig foam nuggets, directly above the lead place the foam, then wrap the line around 4 times, fold the foam in half and moisten the one end, press the two ends together, the foam takes a couple of minutes to dissolve once in the water, this makes a fixed lead for casting and a free running presentation once it dissolves... presuming this is what you wish to achieve.

It just seems a bit of a faff Lawrence to be rapping pva nuggets up every time you want to cast when Korum have a solution straight out the bag
As soon as you connect up it jolts the lead loose and becomes running.
A running rig from my perspective for barbel fishing serves one and only one advantage over a fixed rig and that’s fish safety.
I’ve certainly never felt the need to offer these fish a rig to try and keep resistance down even with buried hookbaits.
The disadvantage to the Korum rigs is simply the cost. A shade over a quid a piece. Not a problem if your not losing them on snags but expensive if you are.
We are generally using powerful rods in fast water with decent sized leads the rig whether running or semi fixed isn’t going to make a lot of difference on resistance anyway. I used full running rigs for years and they have no problems hooking themselves on most bait presentations.

If you're worried about your ledger/feeder running up the line (e.g. heavy bait/PVA bag, underarm casting ) I've found the simplest solution is a small rubber bead above the large bore free-running rig-ring I use, and a float stop 8 inches or so above that. It's an adjustable free running rig, but float stop creates a bit of a bolt effect (if the fish takes more than the 8" or so before you're in contact).

It just seems a bit of a faff Lawrence to be rapping pva nuggets up every time you want to cast when Korum have a solution straight out the bag
As soon as you connect up it jolts the lead loose and becomes running.
A running rig from my perspective for barbel fishing serves one and only one advantage over a fixed rig and that’s fish safety.
I’ve certainly never felt the need to offer these fish a rig to try and keep resistance down even with buried hookbaits.
The disadvantage to the Korum rigs is simply the cost. A shade over a quid a piece. Not a problem if your not losing them on snags but expensive if you are.
We are generally using powerful rods in fast water with decent sized leads the rig whether running or semi fixed isn’t going to make a lot of difference on resistance anyway. I used full running rigs for years and they have no problems hooking themselves on most bait presentations.
Well I dont find it too disruptive Richard, but fixed lead rigs only score on bolt rig set ups of hair rigs, if you are using hooks that are buried into the bait such as meat, paste, flake, cheese etc. fixed leads are definitely a disadvantage....I have seen the Korum kit and it is ingenious, but only when you strike does the lead become free running, but remains fixed until you strike, but each to their own...

I’ve never found a fixed lead to be a disadvantage with hook buried baits tbh especially for barbel.
If they ain’t feeling the weight of your lead they’ll certainly be feeling the bow in the line against the flow and the stiffness in the carbon rod top.
Fixed or running there is a lot of resistance there under most conditions and they still have no problem wrenching your rod top over despite whether you hair or bury.

Well I dont find it too disruptive Richard, but fixed lead rigs only score on bolt rig set ups of hair rigs, if you are using hooks that are buried into the bait such as meat, paste, flake, cheese etc. fixed leads are definitely a disadvantage....I have seen the Korum kit and it is ingenious, but only when you strike does the lead become free running, but remains fixed until you strike, but each to their own...

I've not used the Korum kit yet, but not sure how striking would release the lead as surely you are just pulling the wrong way. The only way of releasing the lead in to the free running mode, would to be to pull from the hook length side.

Been using these for the past year on the Trent, the ones with the lip and not free running. They are excellent imo. I am.a Braid user, and tie a short 10mm fig 8, into my 25lb leader. Which holds very well inside the main part and swapped the quick chang eye for a quick clip.

This is an interesting topic,do you need a fixed/semi fixed lead ? If you are using a feeder,pva bag or straight lead when you cast the weight/bag will be far heavier than the bait you are casting,unless it’s a large piece of meat/light lead,so therefore the weight will pull the hook link out to the desired spot on the cast and if you feather it down till it hits bottom you will have a free running lead,the only resistance being the rod tip/bow in the line.
I’ve seen a few of Lawrence’s interviews and they are really worth watching for the information they contain on rigs,bait etc.The pva nugget one makes perfect sense when you see the way he does it.

This is an interesting topic,do you need a fixed/semi fixed lead ? If you are using a feeder,pva bag or straight lead when you cast the weight/bag will be far heavier than the bait you are casting,unless it’s a large piece of meat/light lead,so therefore the weight will pull the hook link out to the desired spot on the cast and if you feather it down till it hits bottom you will have a free running lead,the only resistance being the rod tip/bow in the line.
I’ve seen a few of Lawrence’s interviews and they are really worth watching for the information they contain on rigs,bait etc.The pva nugget one makes perfect sense when you see the way he does it.
Yep, I think feathering solves a lot of problems...including reducing 'splash'. The only times I've had a problem with the lead running up the line is when I've cast underhand with a light ledger and PVA bag on hook, which I haven't done for many a year. I suppose if you were link-ledgering with (say) a swan shot and a wrapped boilie/pellet or large chunk of meat for bait, and it was cast underhand, then it could be a problem.
(But a float stop stops that, and reduces weed build up below it.)

I've not used the Korum kit yet, but not sure how striking would release the lead as surely you are just pulling the wrong way. The only way of releasing the lead in to the free running mode, would to be to pull from the hook length side.
Correct. The lead doesn’t release up the line until a force is pulled in the other direction. Because the rubber notch is sitting at an angle and holding the lead slightly pissed if you like, the force required to get it to pop over is quite minimal.
It’s not really fixing a huge problem, I’ve used full running rigs for many years and as we know you certainly don’t need to create a bolt effect in order to get barbel to hook them selves. They manage that quite happily on many many styles of rig.
I switched to these because they cover my main style of fishing that little bit better. Short underarm lobs and light leads are a way of life for me and while it’s certainly not necessary to fix the lead in these cases it does improve cast presentation a lot of the time.
I’ve read a lot of Lawrence’s posts he’s an incredibly intelligent angler. I just haven’t experienced any disadvantage to the fixed lead set ups with buried hooks.
I think you’d need a very slow running river, a heavy lead that’s gonna stay put , quite a slack line and a very soft tip if you are to try and reduce fish feeling resistance on a free running system with a buried bait.

Just in case anyone still looking for the Korum Bolt and Run kits. They are now back in stock online at Angling Direct.

Back