• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Koi carp in the river…

Huanzhou Zhu

I was roving for the chub this morning in the Thames, out of sudde, I spotted a carp about 10lb on the surface. Since I only have a 1.25 lb Avon rod with 4lb line, so I decided not to catch it. But I did throw a few piece of bread to it and I realise it is a koi carp when it took the bread. It has a black back and the rest is white, very beautiful. Another angler passEd by told me this fish was released into the river by the owner and they did reported it to EA, but clearly, they did nothing. Hopefully this fish will have a good life in the river.

Saw one last month on the Bristol Avon at Bradford and there used to be a huge one that cropped up between Warleigh weir and Limpley Stoke. I suppose they get washed out of garden ponds.

Saw one last month on the Bristol Avon at Bradford and there used to be a huge one that cropped up between Warleigh weir and Limpley Stoke. I suppose they get washed out of garden ponds.
I think tbh people buy those 3” ones from garden centres, buy 5 for what ever and just don’t anticipate how big they get. When that fish at year 3 hits a foot in a pond only 3/4ft long they “release it to the wild”, unaware or uncaring of the potential issues that could arise. Also people buy houses with ponds and fill them in, the fish get thrown in the nearest body of water.
The D.Stour, has goldfish and all sorts, Throop holds a head of bloody Terrapins!

Back