• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Knots

Anthony Pearson

I'm sure this will have been covered somewhere, but I can't locate it on the site. I would like advice on the best knots to use in a variety of situations and using different types of line. There's probably one on the web that stands out from the rest, but if you've already found it, please let me know.

I use a grinner or a knotless knot in most situations tying hooks or attaching line to swivels.

Couple them with a figure of eight loop knot and an allbright knot and i reckon that covers 99% of my requirements.

In general, knotless and palomar for me. I have found the palomar to be exceptionally good on most of my rigs- it has never let me down and it's so easy to tie.

Knotless for hair rigs, Palomar if the hook eye is big enough as I feel it creates less tension on the line than a grinner plus it is very easy to tie even when night fishing.

Fluorocarbon - Knotless knot or palomar knot at hook end, I use quick change swivels so the opposite end of the hook length has a figure of eight loop.

Braid - as above but double grinner knot replaces the palomar knot.

If you have a smart phone look for an ap called grogs knots then you will even have it with you bankside. I use mine lots to practice.

Brian

Hello,

I've done tests in the past using spring scales with mono, braid, flouro and found the palomar knot to consistently provide the highest knot strength when compared with clinch, improved clinch, figure of eight and grinner knots. Hence I use palomar and knotless knot where possible or figure of 8 if I need a loop.

Best regards.

In common with most others I have found the palomar or knotless knot to be best. Grinner too fiddly for night fishing

In common with most others I have found the palomar or knotless knot to be best. Grinner too fiddly for night fishing

I don't know how you can say that, The grinner practically ties itself. I can do it at night without my reading glasses on though I do prefer to see what Im doing so usually turn my back to the river and turn the torch on.

Have you ever looked at animated tutorials like that that Derek pur up and thought...hmmmm...I go under where that demo shows it going over (or some other slight variation)...and wondered if it makes any difference? I don't recall ever having a knot go on me, so perhaps that answers my question for me, but still I worry that I am tying it wrong :D

Cheers, Dave.

Al hair rigs a knotless knot.
For Fluro, and braid a 4 turn Grinner.
For Mono a half blood knot (out of fashion I know, but it has never let me down)

One thing i picked up from Keith Speer on this site was tying all hooks via knotless hair rig or not. If you're not using a hair rig, just trim the end short.

Virtually no reduction in BS of the hooklink and better presentation to boot.

I'm sure most folk do that anyway but if you don't it's worth trying.

Just use the mahseer knot - usually gives better performance than the grinner with most materials - mono and braid.

Just use the mahseer knot - usually gives better performance than the grinner with most materials - mono and braid.

Couldn't agree more! Sometimes called the Trilene knot - built in shock absorption! When tied with mono you can actually see the knot stretch under compression unlike most knots which constrict and ultimately weaken the line. When tied with braid you won't see any stretch but it will never slip either! Been using this knot since i first saw Wilson using it in India and can hand on heart say it has never failed me - that's at least 10 years if not more! For those not familiar: https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...articles/5658-mahseer-knot-steve-stayner.html

Back