• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Knotless knot and scalded pellets

What experience have folk had using fluorocarbon? I hair rig pellets sometimes on the Wye using the stuff and whilst it’s super stiff compared to braid, it hasn’t put the fish off (although I have mainly used it in the summer when the fish are feeding well etc.) and I’ve never had a break around the eye. But I might have just been lucky.

Having had a couple of break offs at the hook using the knotless knot on fluorocarbon, i asked around , particularly aiming at the matchmen and came up with the answer.
Its a variation of the SNELL knot. So plenty of practice and viewing on youtube and the problems have been solved.
Particularly good for lassoing small pellets.

Yes I've had the same on flurocarbon with chub with a knotless knot. Final fish of this session as i changed to flurocarbon because of what happened. I didn't add that bit as slightly embarrassed. Never had that happen in the all the years of fishing.

Last edited:
Preston powerline is very thin for the diameter great for tying direct to the hook. Over the years on BFW and on the riverbank anglers have mentioned getting broken on knotless knots and mono line. Its something that can cause an issue and should be avoided and removed form our arsenal.It might be ok for a while but will eventually cause a snapped line. Its a great knot for braid but as John said mono makes for too acute an angle through the hook eye on that knot. The contact area on that knot is too small for heavy pressure and mono especially thinner mono
I use preston hooklengths and have been using choddy style hooks with the out turned eye,the line travels up the shank and out of the eye with little pressure on the line if any when under tension, what do others think of this idea,i may be wrong lol

I use preston hooklengths and have been using choddy style hooks with the out turned eye,the line travels up the shank and out of the eye with little pressure on the line if any when under tension, what do others think of this idea,i may be wrong lol
Yeah, that should lower the potential line abrasion a bit ... as long as the line comes out of the inside of the eye (the hook point side) IMO. Plus generally speaking, the thinner the line, the lower the abrasion resistance. Combi rigs answer a lot of (potential) problems, if you can be arsed tying them :D

What experience have folk had using fluorocarbon? I hair rig pellets sometimes on the Wye using the stuff and whilst it’s super stiff compared to braid, it hasn’t put the fish off (although I have mainly used it in the summer when the fish are feeding well etc.) and I’ve never had a break around the eye. But I might have just been lucky.
Howard,don't use fluorocarbon for specimen barbel. It let me down on both a very big barbel and river carp some years ago. Coated braid stripped back has never ever failed.

Wayne great hook to use if knotless knot ,snelled,mahseer knotted or whipped avoiding all contact with the hook eye

Hi men ,

With mono its a palomar knot all day long , tuck the tag back through and half hitch or a bit of silicon tube to trap it .

Hatter

Back