• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Kingpin zeppelin

Hello ppl does anyone use the kingpin zeppelin for there barbel fishing both static and float fish ..I like to here pls thoughts please ..ps sorry if this as already been covered ..
I haven’t used it for barbel yet but I will be next season. Mine is the first edition 4.75 before they started porting the spokes out in the horizontal plane.

Btw it’s a trotting pin only. It won’t be any use for ledgering because the check is way too strong. Your rod would be taking off before it gave line. 🤣

Thanks for the heads up about the check but I always fish with a claw but rest rods not moving much in one ov them ..plus I mainly touch ledger aw I'm sat on top ov the rod ..

Thanks for the heads up about the check but I always fish with a claw but rest rods not moving much in one ov them ..plus I mainly touch ledger aw I'm sat on top ov the rod ..
It wouldn’t be my first choice for ledgering personally. There’s a lot better out there for that game.
Check aside it’s a large diameter drum and only 3/4 of an inch wide.
Cracking trotting pin for big fish and very smooth and free.

It wouldn’t be my first choice for ledgering personally. There’s a lot better out there for that game.
Check aside it’s a large diameter drum and only 3/4 of an inch wide.
Cracking trotting pin for big fish and very smooth and free.
Great information thank you

I've use them for trotting a float for barbel on and off now for a number of years. As Richard says the ratchet is quite a harsh one but it does soften after some use which will make it an option to use for legering....so long as your rod is strapped in good and propper!
Again, as Richard said, there are better options for legering. As well as having a narrow line lay it's set quite high also. I think the only thing I dislike about the reel is how alkward the harsh ratchet makes it to put your line through the rod guides when setting up!

I've use them for trotting a float for barbel on and off now for a number of years. As Richard says the ratchet is quite a harsh one but it does soften after some use which will make it an option to use for legering....so long as your rod is strapped in good and propper!
Again, as Richard said, there are better options for legering. As well as having a narrow line lay it's set quite high also. I think the only thing I dislike about the reel is how alkward the harsh ratchet makes it to put your line through the rod guides when setting up!
I’m not a fan of that strong clicker either but the thing that annoys me the most about my zep is the position of the Check switch. Right at the back right at the bottom.

I ain’t flicking that on quickly with 1 hand to do a quick bait change or unhook a fish in the water. At least they thought about it with the next version and put it in the rim where you can get to it with the same hand

I’m not a fan of that strong clicker either but the thing that annoys me the most about my zep is the position of the Check switch. Right at the back right at the bottom.

I ain’t flicking that on quickly with 1 hand to do a quick bait change or unhook a fish in the water. At least they thought about it with the next version and put it in the rim where you can get to it with the same hand

Very often I don't engage the ratchet when baiting up the hook, I put the reel under my arm/armpit and the reel can't rotate while baiting the hook etc 😉👍.
I prefer the model you have....the latter models (imo) have gone overboard with the cut outs. They have cut out the top section of the backplate rather than the bottom also, so your fingers are resting on them which can't be very comfy. Also, any bits on your fingers are going to go straight into those cut outs. If the cut outs had been put in the bottom it would also have allowed water to escape easier if it's raining hard.
It's as though the person who designed that model has never used a centrepin reel or had brain fog when doing so.
Regarding the ratchet button, I don't mind it being out of the way where you can't accidentaly knock it on or off, or have line get hung up on it, in reality it takes a second to put it on or off so I don't mind it.

Very often I don't engage the ratchet when baiting up the hook, I put the reel under my arm/armpit and the reel can't rotate while baiting the hook etc 😉👍.
I prefer the model you have....the latter models (imo) have gone overboard with the cut outs. They have cut out the top section of the backplate rather than the bottom also, so your fingers are resting on them which can't be very comfy. Also, any bits on your fingers are going to go straight into those cut outs. If the cut outs had been put in the bottom it would also have allowed water to escape easier if it's raining hard.
It's as though the person who designed that model has never used a centrepin reel or had brain fog when doing so.
Regarding the ratchet button, I don't mind it being out of the way where you can't accidentaly knock it on or off, or have line get hung up on it, in reality it takes a second to put it on or off so I don't mind it.
I’ve just got into the habit now that as soon as that rig swings to my hand the index finger on my right slides on the check. 3 of my pins are designed that way and it’s a very difficult habit to break 🤣

I know the 5 inch zep is all cut out at the back but I thought the 4.75 was still solid back and had the spokes ported out to lighten the load a little. These currently have the check lever on the rim. For me that would be a lot better. A full right handed operation makes the pin much more to my liking.

I imagine if your using reels with the ratchet lever in the same spot it could become second nature to you.
I keep swapping from one reel to another which have their ratchet lever/button in various positions.
I got a 4incher from them but I don't think they made many.

I imagine if your using reels with the ratchet lever in the same spot it could become second nature to you.
I keep swapping from one reel to another which have their ratchet lever/button in various positions.
I got a 4incher from them but I don't think they made many.
No they did a special run of 4 inch pins in 2 types I think
Probably never see them again.

must admit I’m really fussy about what I like in a cpin. I’m going to get one made exactly how i want it I think. It’s about time and it will stop me moaning about the short comings on the ones I have already.

No they did a special run of 4 inch pins in 2 types I think
Probably never see them again.

must admit I’m really fussy about what I like in a cpin. I’m going to get one made exactly how i want it I think. It’s about time and it will stop me moaning about the short comings on the ones I have already.

I think that would be a good idea, maybe the day "thingy" with Garry Mills. I've spoken to Garry a number of times on the blower and imagine having a day with him building a reel to your own speks would be enjoyable.

I think that would be a good idea, maybe the day "thingy" with Garry Mills. I've spoken to Garry a number of times on the blower and imagine having a day with him building a reel to your own speks would be enjoyable.
I’d be in my element. All those lovely toys to play with for a day. 😀😀😀😀

Back