• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

King barbel

Ian Murfin

Not our Barbus, so strictly I should post this on the other species board but seeing as it's close season I figured no one would mind too much.

Sam Wadman has written a cracking article about his trip to Iran chasing the King barbel it's available online on the link below, starts a page 80, real bucket list stuff.

www.offthescaleangling.ie/current_issue

"Imagine if you will a predatory barbel of epic proportions. Growing to a possible maximum of 200kg, this fresh water giant is found only in the Tigris Euphrates river system of Central Asia. It must surely be one of the last remaining great angling unknowns in the world of angling today. This is the king barbel, Luciobarbus esocinus........."

Wow, thanks for sharing that Ian, never knew this fish existed!
Had a quick Google and found this website, there's a guestbook section which is worth signing as they're trying to gauge interest for angling tourism, think it's worth trying to promote.
Check out the gallery on there! :eek:

http://mangar.org/en

One on my bucket list but has never been safe to travel there,i put a thread up about 10 years ago on this site about them,Manger an awesome fish.Interesting to see they are caught in Turkey not just Iraq.Great article and a lucky man to be able to access such special fishing.What a great online free magazine.I remember seeing the photos years ago and then finding most had been killed with hand grenades to feed the soldiers.There was an American Forces website that showed all the fish they were catching in Iraq,but i think it was targeted and had to close.Its changed a bit search Baghdad school of fly fishing,and most of the Iraq fish photos have now gone

Love to fish for them but probably have to put it somewhere near the bottom of my bucket list, just above going into space! :D
The leopard barbel looks like a stunning fish as well.

Back