• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Kindest Regards and Felicitations for the Season

Andy Thatcher

Administrator
Staff member
Got back from work last night/this morning and was just relaxing in front of the TV and found myself watching Sky Sports News. The upside of this is that it is live so when I looked at the time realised it was 7:15am which was 2:15am here.

Anyway one of the reasons I watch is that it gives you a weather forecast.

I soon came to the conclusion that if I was living at home I would get into all kinds of trouble as there is no way I would be able to ignore those conditions and would have to get to the river on Xmas Day.

So my Xmas gift, not much of one, is to suggest the perfect Christmas present would be a Christmas Day barbel ! They will be feeding somewhere.

Sitting here with a Red Admiral sunning itself on my gazebo and a hummingbird sipping at the nectar feeder to my left crashes the day dream I was having about a swim I have in mind near Sharnbrook Mill on the Great Ouse for those conditions.

Doesn't seem that long but I have now been here in Florida for 5 years. Looking through the names that still post here my name won't be too unfamiliar. This has been another year of work for me. Must have upset someone as I got promoted and immediately doubled the load.

One fishing highlight was fishing in the pond in my garden with my 5 year old and him catching his first fish, well nearly anyway. Still not sure what it was as must confess I was watching out for the resident alligators.

Everything else has been pretty much a bust regards fishing. Well nearly. I don't have the time to actually go but the ideas keep coming but need time to see if they will work. I still seem to spend just as much time thinking about barbel, roach, tench and chub etc as I do redfish, tarpon, snook and sharks.

Why is he wittering on about sharks and barbel you may not unreasonably be wondering. Well with the sole exception of one or two very talented anglers I tend to think that exposure to other types of fishing helps your experience over all. The plural of exception was used to be nice as I can only think of one person that I have fished with who fishes solely for barbel that seems to thrive. He has an adapting formula that works for him through sheer hard work that needs to be seen. The rest of us mortals, especially those that live thousands of miles away from the nearest barbel, have to eek out that experience to attain the goals we set ourselves.

Honestly I sat down to say Happy Holidays and it turned into this lol

Back to what I was floundering towards. With the permission of that nice Andy fella, you know the boss dude, I think I am going to resurrect the occasional series that I was so rudely interrupted from writing 6 years ago or so. Had a nice break now and I did say it would be occasional !

Anyway hope all of you and yours have a great time over the festive season. I will be attempting not to get sunburned cutting the grass and trying to escape the Outlaws Christmas Day as fast as possible so I can get back home and watch the Doctor Who Christmas Special on BBC America ;)

Bit of a far cry from the all night Tsunami fish-in at Hampton Court aye Andy :)
Glad to hear that you're doing well and happy Christmas and New year to you and your family.

Merry Christmas Andy.

A far cry from the banks of the frozen Trent when we were the only 2 survivors of a fish in. I think even then after I left you soldiered on with that big hound lol Mery Xmas Andy

The huge hound is well if a bit warm here.

Just couldn't leave that session I had a niggling thought I may just sneak one but it didn't happen.

Merry Xmas Andy.

All the best from me. I bet you wish you were back living alongside the Ouse....not!

Graham

Oh I wish I was.

US is to be fair a fantastic experience but I had just reached the point where I had spent as much time in the UK as abroad and promptly left again lol

The odd thing is that I love living there and it will always be referred to as home by me. Just don't seem destined to live there much.

Andy, theres so much changed since i 1st spoke to you about finding another lost soul into barbel:)
hell! got nearly all the cash i could need now but its certainly come at a price
to me, health done in, fishing nearly extinct and now the worst dread of all thinking of whats gonna happen to the guys that work for me, biggest high is
fishing will be a main preoccupation for me within the next 2 years,
now wheres all the places up here i can take me 5 year old grandson fishing for tiddlers mate:):)
have a great christmas and enjoy that sunshine....j.w

Back