• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keeping them feeding

Marcin Kantor

A question gents: this year during my Wye holidays I tried float trotting pellets for the first time. Great fun, that's for sure but each time I experienced similar scenario. I would have start feeding loose 6mm and 8mm pellets every 20-30 seconds or so for the first 10 minutes to get them going. Then the float went in and I kept feeding, say about 10 pellets every trot, sometimes twice per trot. Usually would get some fish quite quickly, then a few more alternating depths and hook baits but always after an hour or a few fish, bites would have dried up completely. No more takes even despite me alternating depths, and trotting pace. Not sure was it me doing something wrong or what... Appreciate if someone could shed some light on here

There's a couple of things you could try. When bites start to drop off try going shallow, as it may be the fish are intercepting the bait higher up in he water.
It could also be that large fish have moved in which will reduce the number of bites, but may bank you a big fish.
If nothing comes of that you could try and reduce feeding to once per trot or halve the number of pellets fed.
There's no simple solution, but trying different things may give you the answer.

if it was barbel you were feeding/fishing for maybe you was feeding them off,
next time try trotting over a smallish bed of pellets, if they start to feed then bites drop off rest your swim awhile then repeat the process;)

Thanks for tips, I'll try reducing the feed amount next time and resting the swim. While you rest it,would you still feed it and not fish or leave it all together for a while?

put some more freebies in then sit back, have a nice hot drink and a snack maybe resume fishing after about 15/20 mins

Back