• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keeping 3 piece rods set up

I never keep any rods made up permenantly. Keeping a reel seat tightened up and a rod under stress points where the wraps etc are can't be a good thing....imo.
Very often I do make my float rod up before I go. If I do this the day before I go I leave the rod disassembled on the floor in my tackle room with the reel detatched next to it. It only takes several seconds to put the reel on, then wrap the sections together....all facing the way they are when assembled.

I never keep any rods made up permenantly. Keeping a reel seat tightened up and a rod under stress points where the wraps etc are can't be a good thing....imo.
Very often I do make my float rod up before I go. If I do this the day before I go I leave the rod disassembled on the floor in my tackle room with the reel detatched next to it. It only takes several seconds to put the reel on, then wrap the sections together....all facing the way they are when assembled.
Yes I agree entirely. Especially with kdps and Ips reel seats that have cork on the front, leaving these tightened up for long periods can split the cork.

I will always take a float rod pre made up from home but like yourself I’ll make it up the day before and disassemble it all when I’m home safely back in the bag.

When I make one up for transport I do not have the tip section pointing to the back of the butt like some do. I just drop them down one at a time all fat ends at the bottom and put them into drennan butt protector.
Tip protector on the 3 sections at the top and 2 bands.
one around the float and one the Olivette and swivel. No hook length attached I do that on the bank. I’m happy to leave a reel on over night I can’t see that doing harm but not for weeks.

Yes I agree entirely. Especially with kdps and Ips reel seats that have cork on the front, leaving these tightened up for long periods can split the cork.

I will always take a float rod pre made up from home but like yourself I’ll make it up the day before and disassemble it all when I’m home safely back in the bag.

When I make one up for transport I do not have the tip section pointing to the back of the butt like some do. I just drop them down one at a time all fat ends at the bottom and put them into drennan butt protector.
Tip protector on the 3 sections at the top and 2 bands.
one around the float and one the Olivette and swivel. No hook length attached I do that on the bank. I’m happy to leave a reel on over night I can’t see that doing harm but not for weeks.

I don't usually add any weights when having a made up rod, if I use an olivette instead of a bulk I use the sliding drennan examples and add the rubbers after i've added the float rubbers. I very rarely ever use a hooklength, so no swivel most of the time. I add the hook and push it into a little piece of dense foam so it doesn't catch on anything. All I do at the venue is assemble the rod, add a float, the olivettee and a dropper shot, remove the foam and commence battle 🤣.

I don't usually add any weights when having a made up rod, if I use an olivette instead of a bulk I use the sliding drennan examples and add the rubbers after i've added the float rubbers. I very rarely ever use a hooklength, so no swivel most of the time. I add the hook and push it into a little piece of dense foam so it doesn't catch on anything. All I do at the venue is assemble the rod, add a float, the olivettee and a dropper shot, remove the foam and commence battle 🤣.
The hook length for me is there only for preventing twist. I’d go straight through aswell, I have many times but certain baits wanna come back like helicopters so the swivel is something I prefer just below the bulk.

The hook length for me is there only for preventing twist. I’d go straight through aswell, I have many times but certain baits wanna come back like helicopters so the swivel is something I prefer just below the bulk.

Yes, I fully understand what you mean Richard.
Since I use maggots, corn, 6lb mono (sensor) and smalli'sh hooks it's very rare that I get the line come back twizzled up so it negates the need of a swivel for me.

Back