• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Keeping 3 piece rods set up

I have done in the past and it's awkward. Much simpler if they are 12' two piece. Try it with an old Daiwa 11/13 feeder rod that doesn't have equal length sections. Not easy.

I fold the middle section down and the tip section up, if that makes sense ?? It's when you come to set up that I find the problems start as there is one too many sections for your hands. I tend to lay the tip section out of the way first, then put the middle section into the butt, then fix the tip section together last.

Trefor West once said to me, "if you haven't got time to make up a rod you haven't got time to go fishing !"
I fish short sessions, sometimes only an hour. It suits me to have my rods set up at home where I can tie knots with warm hands (I have Raynauds!) and my reading glasses to hand.

My friend is not so organised and just keeps his tackle disorganised in the boot of his car. I may have told this story already but.....One session we had last spring should have brought the point of my methods home to him. I had two rods out within a couple of minutes of arriving, by the time he sorted his gear I had caught two carp of 26lb and 29lb. To say he was flustered was a complete understatemnt! Before he was fishing effectively I had another carp of 44lb and a 4lb barbel. He caught nothing!

Maybe it's my time in engineering and then the RN. We always had this old addage - Proper Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

My habit now is to have a few hook lengths made up and baited ready for whatever I plan to fish for, they just need clipped on. A small selection of weights and a feeder in the front pocket of my bag.

I prefer 3-piece rods, or even my old telescopic, for carrying convenience. The 3-piece rods I usually have held together with a rod strap then slipped into a short rod sleeve.

No more fumbling with cold hands trying to tie knots, or losing boilie stops due to blurry vision. When I am at the water I am there to fish! 👍

This fish caught recently within a few minutes of arriving at a swim with my new 3-piece Daiwa Ninja X 3.3 metre feeder rod.

Jan 2022 flood barbel.jpg

I only went to try the rod out, only received it an hour before!

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep all my Barbel rods made up all season, only taking them apart in the close season, even with the hooklengths attached. I just change the hook or hooklength as required.

On the match scene, I think the two piece rods was/is a brilliant marketing ploy. Now most matchmen leave their rods set up, it means a whole load of more tackle required. Reels for every rod, line for every reel, holdalls to transport them, roosts to keep them tidy on the bank. Although with the advent of more commercial fisheries, I think the time allowed for setting up has been shortened so less time to get sorted could be an issue, but I still think we managed just as well back in the day, even when we had to walk a long way to our pegs.

For what it's worth I never keep my rods assembled , reason ? I believe it is too easy to damage an assembled rod in transit ,trapping in car doors , catching them on fences , snagging the line on foliage , the list goes on . Keep them tubed in and old school fully enclosed holdall and assemble when you get to your chosen swim . Trefor West is right !

Keep them tubed in and old school fully enclosed holdall and assemble when you get to your chosen swim...
...and don't think about moving.

Alternatively, only buy Simms rods which come with a lifetime guarantee and will be replaced foc if accidentally broken.

In response to the OP, yes.
I take the tip section off first, place along mid section with tip facing down, then seperate mid from butt. Bit of fiddling to get all lined up nicely then a bit of gardeners soft tie to hold together.
Much prefer 2 piece,really, but a job to get 15ft float rod in this format!

I have 4 trotting rods permanently set up. All are fitted with centrepins. Once I have finished fishing I move the float down to the olivette next to the swivel on the hook link. I then reel in until the float is near the tip and attach the hook to the ring which is nearest in keeping the hook length taut. Then carefully undo the middle section placing it against the tip section then do the same with the butt all the time keeping the tension tight as possible. I then fit a largish on rod fly reel cover over the centrepin and then put a tip top cover on the top of the 3 sections . I have also started to put a strap on the butt section as well. Don't have many problems but occasionaly the hook will detach from the rod ring.
IMG_2897.JPG

I almost always have the rods set up with just a lead or feeder and hooklink to be added. With float rods it is just a matter of adding a hook length. I know where I am going to fish and how I intend to start. Much better to ready the rod(s) in my non-fishing time than waste time at the waterside. A lot of my fishing is short sessions after work so time is at a premium.

As for the three-piece rod question; I do what others have already suggested. Start by folding the tip section down so the tip is aligned with the bottom of the middle section, then fold that down and tighten up the line.

I look at it another way to Trevor.
If you’ve got time to waste setting up rods then you may aswell turn up later.
Every second counts and while I might not always be in a rush to get a hook bait out, im very much in a rush to get that spopper of free offerings on the deck ASAP.
All my gear is taken in the most efficient way it can possibly be taken. Rigs attached and round hook keepers. Leads on and banded to the rod.
Spopper attached to second rod and again banded to the blank. The sooner you get some bait then down the sooner you get a hook bait out and the stronger your chances will be of an early fish.
I’m not one to mess about, I can thread line through eyes at home….. on the bank, Got 1 job to do 😉

For Barbel 2 rod set up + spopper rod always set up with reels in Hardwall rod case.
3 piece float rods no chance...
They are a lot more delicate and I have damaged them in past.Too much faffing about and loosing my temper.
Rod bags and Tubes in a quiver for my expensive float rods.
It don't take long to be fishing with em.

I like to put some bait in and let it simmer for an hour or so. By which time my bank sticks are in, hooklengths baited and attached, coffee (or Whisky) poured, landing net and unhooking mat set up, leaving me just enough time to take in the surroundings before casting both rods in :D

It’s really not an issue to fold up and travel with made up 3 piece float rods. I have been doing it for a couple of decades at least but I do use pins on all my float rods except for the 2 piece one which I use for slider fishing…to take apart, remove the tip, let it dangle alongside the middle section with a few inches of line between the two, then hold both these sections together while pulling apart the butt section which I then fold upwards. All 3 sections are now together and held by one of the reel pouches wrapped over the sections and covering the pin, with the end of the tip section and middle section slipped under an elastic band that is permanently on the end of the butt section. If needed you can add another elastic band at the other end.
Jeez, a lot of typing out for something that’s dead simple and no need to complicate with unnecessary velcro bands and useless tip protectors!

Back